Help with nipple size

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdugas

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the nipple thread size for a CVA .45 cal Kentucky rifle ? This was a kit from 1980.

I tried a 6-1 and its too big. That's if I was sent the correct one .

If you got them from Deer Creek, who knows what you mighta got. When I put a new stock on my CVA Mountain Rifle I ordered new wedges from them. Don’t know what the heck these things they sent are but, I could bevel the edges & use them to split fence rails.

sabotloader said:
pdugas said:
I tried a 6-1 and its too big. That's if I was sent the correct one .

They probably sent you a 1/4x28 nipple it is very close to a 6x1... but they are different!

Try Track of the Wolf
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/64/1

Nipple, 6-1mm metric thread, for CVA rifles and shotguns, Traditions, Jukar, and other Spanish mfg. guns, musket cap, stainless steel, requires a well centered hammer cup!
Cone length: 0.440"
Thread journal length: 0.195"
Overall length: 0.635"
Diameter of base: 0.307"
Part Number:
CVA-MS
Availability:
Price: $7.99

Nipple, 6-1mm metric thread, for CVA rifles and shotguns, Traditions, Jukar, and other Spanish mfg. guns, #11 CCI cap, stainless steel
Cone length: 0.440"
Thread journal length: 0.195"
Overall length: 0.635"
Diameter of base: 0.307"
Part Number:
CVA-S
Availability:
Price: $4.99

pdugas said:
I actually got the nipple from the Possible Shop

It is not the first time that those nipples have been mixed up and it wiill most likely not be the last... I would bet you Possible Shop would change them out without a problem...

Again assuming that you have the 1/4x28 instead of the 6x1's

If you have the old nipple you can likely take it to a hardware store to determine size. Most hardwares have "try boards" in both American Standard thread and ISO Metric thread hanging in the nuts & bolts section for customer use in determining thread size.

Semisane said:
If you have the old nipple you can likely take it to a hardware store to determine size. Most hardwares have "try boards" in both American Standard thread and ISO Metric thread hanging in the nuts & bolts section for customer use in determining thread size.

Good info here, I did this exact thing with the Nipple out of my Navy Arms Hawken Hunter, i took it in to our Local Ace Hardware and used the “try board” in the nuts & bolts section to find out the thread size

Mine turned out to be 5/16-24
ezI180N.jpg

bubba.50 said:
Don’t know what the heck these things they sent are but, I could bevel the edges & use them to split fence rails.

They second guessed ya! That’s what they figured you were needing them for bubba? :lol:

I took a chance and ordered another 6-1mm from Track of the Wolf . It fit . I was sent the wrong one from The Possible Shop. Thanks for all the replies and advice.

pdugas said:
I took a chance and ordered another 6-1mm from Track of the Wolf . It fit . I was sent the wrong one from The Possible Shop. Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Good deal :yeah:

Latest posts

Back