Nipple Size Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok lets not go there :) I have an 7/8" octagon barrel being made for my H&A action. So that is .875 OD minus the .400 bore dia. what length does the threads need to be on nipple to make good ignition but not protrude into the bore ? I know they come in 1/4x28 & 1/4x32, which would be the best to drill n tap for ?

Last edited:
IMO its not the length of the nipple but the size of the flash hole. If the hole gets to .035" its too big.
You also need to know the thread size and pitch (TPI). They are not all standard. If you have a 1/4"-28 then I would suggest a Knight Red Hot

IMO its not the length of the nipple but the size of the flash hole. If the hole gets to .035" its too big.
You also need to know the thread size and pitch (TPI). They are not all standard. If you have a 1/4"-28 then I would suggest a Knight Red Hot
I will be the one drilling n tapping my barrel for the nipple. So the 1/4x28 tpi is better than the 1/4x32 tpi. The red hot nipples are very good ? Trying to learn here, all i have ever used is factory items as replacements.

After re-reading your post and doing the math in my head (.875-.401= .474"/2= .237") I believe the length of the threads on the nipples are about 1/4" so you may have to do some work removing the nipple face. I don't know how much metal is on the flash hole end. I guess you'll have to get one and see for yourself if it will work.
I did a quick search on google and 1/4x32 replacement nipples can still be had for your H&A

Muzzy was thinking about a different kind of nipple, where newborn’s get their first nourishments.

Muzzy was thinking about a different kind of nipple, where newborn’s get their first nourishments.
Normally my mind does go there first. But you both used the same math to get the same dimension so i assumed it works for other barrels and calibers?

.875 across the flats . .875 -400 = .475 divided x2 = .2375 I think.
He gave the info for barrel thickness, so like you, I also thought that is what he wanted. He wants to know what thread to use, which has little to do with the thickness of the barrel.
So, he has just under a quarter of an inch to tap and use whatever thread he likes.

Ok lets not go there :) I have an 7/8" octagon barrel being made for my H&A action. So that is .875 OD minus the .400 bore dia. what length does the threads need to be on nipple to make good ignition but not protrude into the bore ? I know they come in 1/4x28 & 1/4x32, which would be the best to drill n tap for ?
Mine uses (H+A) 1/4x28/Ed

Back