Help working up loads.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Nelson

Reaction score
I have worked up loads for more centerfire rifles than I can name. I have worked up loads for my flintlocks. But inline's are throwing me for a loop. Cast bullets, sabots and pistol bullets, then whatever you call the jacketed bullets with plastic bottom? The powder options or lack of being able to find any of above component's. I have a .50 Knight Disk rifle and so far it don't like 240 grain .45 cal. XTP's with crush rib sabots and 100 grain loose 777 past 50 yards. I have not even started working on the .45 Traditions yet. I have been told to back the powder charge to 80 grains for the .50 cal and plan to do that. I also have some 180 grain Umarex speedbelts and pyrodex pellets I can try. Other than that I am open for suggestions.

Just did some reading here on the Umarex bullets my friend gave me. I will not be trying them.

I just looked and for the .45 I have a lyman mold #454616 Would they be worth trying?

I never owned a disc. However, I've owned lots of Knights. Never owned one that wouldn't shoot Barnes Expander or .45 XTP with some accuracy. I've worked mostly between 90-110 grains by volume of T7 FFG powder.

I never owned a disc. However, I've owned lots of Knights. Never owned one that wouldn't shoot Barnes Expander or .45 XTP with some accuracy. I've worked mostly between 90-110 grains by volume of T7 FFG powder.
I have to look but I think I used the XTP bullets I had for .45acp. Maybe heavier ones if they make them would work better?

My kids have shot a 240 grain with 70 grains of T7. I prefer the 300 grain between 90-100 grains.

In my experience with several Knights, a 250 -300 grain projectile with 90-110 of T7 will provide pretty good results. 2-3" groups at 100 yards is the range I'm talking about.

Crushed Ribs are usually the best but sometimes the regular Harvester Long Blacks are better. I know others use different sabots but I have experience with Harvester.

Cabela's had .45 and .50 cal bullets today and I had club points. I have some coming for both rifles, Maybe I will get lucky.

Ditto, including my disc rifles. I use pyrodex in my plungers and BH209 in my disc's. Fiddle with powder charge first (up and down by 5gr- maybe start at 90, go up by 5 to 110. I've never personally had to go below 90 to get one to shoot. You can also swap sabots. Sometimes that can make a world of difference.

This inline stuff gets costly fast. All for a one week season as I don't go places like Ohio to hunt. I just hunt the one week of inline doe season here in PA and that is only if the weather is bad. If not I use my flintlocks.

I use my Whitelightings for all gun season in NY. Third week of October to late December.

50 caliber Knight Disk rifle 3-9 scope and 45 caliber Traditions Pursuit Pro with 3-9 scope. Would like to be accurate to 100 yards.

Back