Hey BlackHorn Shooters!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I believe the non-corrosive, high velocity, and other virtues of BlackHorn are reason enough for many to use it, but wonder about the accuracy issue.

For your gun in your experience, which of the following is MOST true.

A. - BlackHorn is more accurate in my gun than any other powder I have tried.

B. - Accuracy with BlackHorn is about the same as I can get with at least one other sub.

C. - I can get a little better accuracy with one of the other subs, but BlackHorn is close enough and I would rather use it.

D. - BlackHorn has not been as accurate for me as one of the other subs.

"A" for me and my Disc Extreme; although I haven't shot the other substitutes near as frequently or with as many combinations. I guess all the other benefits drove me to explore many combinations and come up with (3) or (4) that are very accurate.

Will say "A" Shooting to 2450fps with 200g SST

But You know I use another sub that's just as accurate, but is limited to 1950fps, that's about 500fps slower :wink:

Semisane

Definitely "B"

I see a smal difference in POI @ 100 yards... and I slightly greater velocity... but, that is with T7-2f - if I were shooting 3f the velocity difference would even be less.

9-6KnightTarget.jpg

B I tried the powder in two rifles.. it was very accurate. But they are as accurate with other powders. Its the no swabbing that I liked. I hate to swab.

On the other hand, cleaning the breech plug with the sub powders was easier then with with BH 209. I would rate the power as about the same as the Triple Se7en 2f.. in that area.

A

This is based on having burned up one box of 777 Mag Pellets and one can of Blackhorn.

Ben

A definately when you factor in many shot groups 5+ without swabbing between shots. I have yet to find any other sub that can do this.

If you want to take cleaning out of the equasion, B is true. I can shoot sub MOA with Pyrodex pellets in my Rem 700 ML.

Bh 209

"A" for sure and I've shot em all. I like trip7 next best in 3 f
Wayles

A in my Encore .

B in my Disc Elite. First shot from clean barrel hits 5" low. OK when fouled.

Incomplete in my TC XR .45. Good accuracy in warm weather. Poor ignition when cold. I'm back to 777 in this gun.

Latest posts

Back