Hey from Idaho

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kunsangsean

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm Sean and I live in Boise, Idaho. I am just getting into this after I found out there is a late muzzleloader season for cow elk that's part of my archery tag. I posted some questions over in the New to Muzzleloading section. It's been fun learning how to get started, but it also kind of scares the crap out of me. So I think I need to learn more to make sure I'm doing everything as safely as possible. The first time I took the gun to the range I thought about the gun blowing up every time I pulled the trigger. If anyone knows of a local club, or wouldn't mind taking a new guy to the range - I'd love to hear about it. I shot some with my dad in the past but he did all the setup, I just pulled the trigger, and I trusted that he knew what he was doing.

Does anyone else think a CVA wolf shooting 420 grain conical and 70 grains T7 kicks real hard or am I just a recoil wimp?

:welcome: To the brotherhood. I’d imagine that load would have a bit of a whallop.

Welcome. I think a Wolf is a light gun and 420 grains is a lot of projectile. Yeah, Im going to think it has a little pucker to it. But if you are concerned about your gun blowing up there may be some imagined recoil in there too. Your load as described is safe. Well within limits. Make sure the conical is firmly seated on the powder. Relax and shoot.

When I shoot my 338 win mag its usually during the summer in Tshirt weather. Throw a towel or sweatshirt over your shoulder and that will absorb (soften) some of the recoil. It also puts the scope a little farther from your eye to protect from a magnum eyebrow.

Hope that helps.

Welcome from NC , take the time to read the posts on this site and a lot of questions will be answered before you even ask. Enjoy

Welcome from Oregon.
Thinking seriously on moving to Idaho.
We will see how things look after November 8th.
Be safe, Have fun

Welcome. I think a Wolf is a light gun and 420 grains is a lot of projectile. Yeah, Im going to think it has a little pucker to it. But if you are concerned about your gun blowing up there may be some imagined recoil in there too. Your load as described is safe. Well within limits. Make sure the conical is firmly seated on the powder. Relax and shoot.

When I shoot my 338 win mag its usually during the summer in Tshirt weather. Throw a towel or sweatshirt over your shoulder and that will absorb (soften) some of the recoil. It also puts the scope a little farther from your eye to protect from a magnum eyebrow.

Hope that helps.
“Magnum eyebrow” lol, yep, I had some busted glasses, a cut nose and blackened eye from a .300 Weatherby magnum. No fun…😎

Yup it will kick hard for sure with those slugs.
Something in the 240 to 300 grain range would be more manageable.
Not sure what is a good bullet for elk. Maybe heavy is better?

Welcome to the Forum! 🤠

I originally came for info on the CVA Optima V2 pistol. Got lots of good info, liked the Forum, and stuck around!

Lots of knowledgeable, helpful folks here. 👍

Also one on the most “polite” Forums on the ‘net!

Welcome from Montana. Better to be a little paranoid, it will keep you safe. Lot's of good information here so use the search function.

Best

Welcome from Middleton. I used the 420 grain No Excuse for elk last year, and it worked great. One shot, drt. But I loaded it in a Knight Bighorn, which is about 8lbs. And I found the best accuracy with only 80 grains Pyrodex RS, by volume, so kick wasn't bad at all.
If you haven't blown yourself up yet, you're probably not going to. You must have done it correctly. My hard rule is to not talk to anyone, or otherwise let myself get distracted, while loading. If I am unavoidably interrupted, I will hold the next step in my hand until I can resume loading. If in doubt, I remove the breech plug to unload. And use a "witness mark" on your ramrod! I use a wrap of electrical tape.
I've never used the private message thing before but we can try that if you aren't sure about things.

Back