HI everyone.... new (old) hunter on board.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pogoIcot

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a brand new owner of a muzzeloader thank to some scum bucket that decided to help himself to a shotgun I had left in my car between hunts, while it was parked in my driveway overnight. ( Long story ) I never liked that Mossberg but that's another long story.

I'm 57 years young and have been hunting deer only about 35 years or so and have a passion for archery. But some of my hunting partners have ML's and wanted to join the fun.

I bought a new Traditions, 50 Cal., Pursuit XLT, camo / nickel, thumbhole w/ 2x7 Tradtions scope using my Insurance money. The guy at Dicks sold me 270 grain PB Platniums and 50 grain Pyrodex Pellets.

Question.... what load to use for this gun and are there any bullets out there that are more shootable for Whitetails in NY State ?

Any help will be appreciated. :D

P.S. I love this site. I have so much to learn and I'm in no hurry. Reply when you can. I can't hunt until next year.

HUNTING

yOU WILL GET ALL THE HELP YOU NEED HERE. i WILL LET THE PRO'S ANSWER YOUR LOAD ?. bUT HUNTING??? WE ARE GETTING A HEAD A STEAM ON TO GO COYOTE HUNTING AFTER THE HOLIDAYS. UNLIMITED SUPPLY, SMARTEST ANIMALS IN THE WOODS AND FUN TO HUNT. ml ON YOTES WELL IT'S GONNA BE A BLAST!

Welcome pogoIcot
It is great to have you join us here on the forum you will find a lot of great guys here that are willing to give you Hundreds of years worth of knolage you won't find a better group or forum any were.

Traditions makes a pretty good gun I well my daughter now owns a Traditions Tracker 209 and it is a good shooter out to 100yds.
I would try 2 Pellets and the PB they may shoot real good .
If I'm not mistaken that gun has the PASS system on it same as the QLA on a TC If it dosen't shoot the PB to your likeing I would try some 250gr Shockwaves or Hornady 240gr XTP with the 2 Pellets, Once you use up your pellets you may think about buying the 777 2fg Loose powder with loose powder you can build up a load better , to get the best Accur. out of your gun and bullet combo, AND loose powder is CHEEPER shot for shot Also.

I hate to tell you this but you are about to become a ADDICT , ML
is somuch fun and frustrating it is very Addicting and most BOW HUNTERS
that like there hunting up and personall turn out to be some of the most Addicted shooters out there as MYSELF.

Good Luck and Safe Shooting
Lungbuster1

pogoIcot

Welcome to the forum. Its good having you here. There is a great bunch of members on the forum who will share their knowledge as best they can.

Your rifle is a good one. When you decide powerbelts are too expensive, try some 240 grain XTP's with two pellets. Two pellets is plenty of power for the kind of hunting you will be doing. Even the powerbelts you use. But I see the person at the store sold you the most expensive powder, and most expensive projectiles. When you run out of pellets you might want to give some loose powder a try. Start the loose powder with 80 grains and work the load up from there.

Good luck with your rifle. Sorry to hear about the scum that ripped you off.

Welcome to the forum!

I believe these guys have you headed in the right direction...

As far as powder goes, you can certainly shoot pellets but loose 777 FFG is the most accurate and consistant powder you can buy as far as BP subs go.

Bullet wise, I would steer away from the powerbelts and stick with 250 XTP's, 250 Shockwaves or 250 Parker Ballistic Extreme's over about 110-120 gr of 777 FFG.. or maybe 2 magnum 777 pellets :wink:

Good luck and keep us posted!

We're glad to have ya!

Welcome to the forum. It is the best in muzzle loading and you can't beat it for the quality of folks here. Let us know how you like your new M.L. I thought about getting that gun before I had bought my Omega. I'm pretty new to it myself so I don't have any other words of wisdom. Sounds like you already got great advice.

Thanks for the replies and advice. After we get through the Holiday's I might decide to get this gun sighted in and shooting.

Coyote hunting sounds like it would be fun with a ML.

I went to three different Walmarts yesterday looking for close out shooting supplies and none were to be had. I'll look online for everything you guys have mentioned.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays !

I used to have a Traditions and it served me well for many years until I moved up to a Savage (I'm lazy and hated cleaning :wink: ). I used 2 50 gr pyrodex pellets which is equivalent to about 80 grain of loose.. under a 300 grain Hornady XTP. Good luck and howdy.

Latest posts

Back