Muzzle Newbie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamac75

Reaction score
Hi I’m Shannon. I’m new to hunting and new to a muzzle loader I just inherited from my dad. I’ve been watching a lot of videos but I’m confused on the caliber size. The gun I have has a .50 and a .45 caliber barrels. Bullets I have bought say .50 caliber but .45 bullet size. Does this mean the sabot is .50 and I should use in the .50 barrel but the actual bullet is only a .45? Please help me understand.

Welcome from Colorado!

Yes - if you’re using a saboted bullet in your .50 then the bullet will likely be either .45 or .44 (.429”).

A saboted bullet in a .45 rifle will likely be .40 bullet.

What is the make and model of your rifle?

Welcome from Colorado!

Yes - if you’re using a saboted bullet in your .50 then the bullet will likely be either .45 or .44 (.429”).

A saboted bullet in a .45 rifle will likely be .40 bullet.

What is the make and model of your rifle?
Hi thanks!!! It’s a Hunterbolt Magnum. I just changed out the .45 barrel for the .50. Supplies seem a bit easier to find.

Hi thanks!!! It’s a Hunterbolt Magnum. I just changed out the .45 barrel for the .50. Supplies seem a bit easier to find.
Yes, .50 cal sabots and .45 cal bullets are prob the easiest to find. When you get into it a little more you can save money and Taylor your loads by buying sabots and bullets separately.

Welcome from western NY.Don't be afraid to reach out to a local sportsman club for some hands on help.You have started off right by reaching out here.Where ya located?There may be a forum member that is near by to mentor you.

Hi I’m Shannon. I’m new to hunting and new to a muzzle loader I just inherited from my dad. I’ve been watching a lot of videos but I’m confused on the caliber size. The gun I have has a .50 and a .45 caliber barrels. Bullets I have bought say .50 caliber but .45 bullet size. Does this mean the sabot is .50 and I should use in the .50 barrel but the actual bullet is only a .45? Please help me understand.

Yes, .50 cal sabots and .45 cal bullets are prob the easiest to find. When you get into it a little more you can save money and Taylor your loads by buying sabots and bullets separately.
Thank you for the info. I actually shot the rifle for the first time of this past weekend. I was surprised at how hard it was to start the bullet and sabot into the muzzle. Any pointers on that or suggestions or something I might be doing wrong.

try something other than a sabot & bullet.or a smaller diameter sabot or a full size bullet or conical.Not all bore sizes are the same diameter.Maybe someone in the forum that shoots the same gun can tell what works best for them.

Latest posts

Back