Hodgdon acquires western powders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally, when a company that has a product that I use and really like (BH) gets bought out, it doesn't bode well for that product. The controlling company always has a better idea. As for price, they kinda now have the market cornered, so, hang on. The consumer almost always loses in these events. We will see.

Since General Dynamics makes most or all of Hodgdon, Winchester, & IMR powders. I would venture to guess G.D. is the power player behind this buyout.

Just thinking out loud.

Bottom line is $$. I hope that quality doesn't suffer even if prices increase ( by a small percent). Hopefully Blackhorn will not but I would look for the Alliant powder prices to increase as they were generally lower than others.

Hopefully it brings the price of BH209 down. The price they get outta that stuff is absurd.
I’ll pay it cause it’s that good.
We either need to boycott it for a year or they need some competition. There is absolutely no reason it should be so expensive IMO other than it’s catering to a niche market. Same reason archery stuff has got so ridiculous. There is absolutely no reason bows should cost what they do other than, people will pay it. These manufacturers are making a fortune off of us.

sd I went to smokeless to save money. It saves on powder but you incur the cost of the rifle. I love hunting with ml and archery and they are all I have used since 2002. I doubt I will ever buy another rifle in my lifetime but I may only be kidding myself as I am 65 and really don't need anything else to hunt with. On the other hand when has need had anything to do with our addictions.

Unless VV gets into making black powder subs who is there to make a BH209 competetive powder? I was just get ready to buy another #5 jug. Should I wait and see if $ comes down?

I have all of my hunting muzzies dialed real well now so I maybe don't need to worry right away as I have three new and a partial jug now. Maybe I'll see if the local Scheels has a bunch and if so buy another three. I've sort of slowed down on the shooting now but still enjoy the range time. I'm hoping things stay as they are.

G'mornin! Would any of you fine gentlemen advise us as to where/how you find 5 pound jugs of BH 209 please?? Bless you for any help!! Old John

I’ve seen BH209 as high as $56. Hope it sits on the store’s shelf. Nuts.
Anyone ever do the math on the 10oz jug? At $36 it would equal $57.60 a pound!
I agree with SDPORTER. Needs boycotted.
Just a thought.
Hope Hodgdon is listening.

G'mornin! Would any of you fine gentlemen advise us as to where/how you find 5 pound jugs of BH 209 please?? Bless you for any help!! Old John
You're looking for a unicorn right now. You'll be really fortunate if you can find a 5# jug this time of year and especially after limited production related to this virus stuff.

You can expect the price of all powders (ML and smokeless) to go up. Im not sure but in the history of capitalism I cant imagine a company buying another to let the price go down. Someone at a desk somewhere is pushing a pencil and figuring if those shooters will pay x amount for guns, scopes, mounts, bullets, time for hunting, travel, they will pay this much for powder. It will go up substantially. Hope I'm wrong.

On the other hand there may be a silver lining. They believe there is a future market for this product. Given the political climate who is sure of that.

Back