Homemade Lube

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to this and have a couple of questions.
1 - When reference is made to the lube mix (eg 50/50 beeswax and fat) is this volume or weight?
2 - Obtained some pure lanolin and was thinking of this in a 50/50 mix with beeswax. Anyone with experience &/or suggestions?

Thanks -- lots of great knowledge to pick up here -- greatly appreciated

New to this and have a couple of questions.
1 - When reference is made to the lube mix (eg 50/50 beeswax and fat) is this volume or weight?
2 - Obtained some pure lanolin and was thinking of this in a 50/50 mix with beeswax. Anyone with experience &/or suggestions?

Thanks -- lots of great knowledge to pick up here -- greatly appreciated
you can go by ounces when mixing. Lanolin works well

This is a good pan lube, 50% beeswax, 40% crisco, 4% canola oil, 6% lanolin. It works very well using T7 and Pyrodex.

ive made it with the deer fat and murphys oils soap..melt the deer fat slow..then add just enough soap to keep it soft after it cools...BUT heres a recipe i got from a bunch of pillow ticking blanket prize from a compitition and a tub of this...5oz melted beeswax 1 pint of mineral oil warm together at 150 degrees.IN a seperate container/mix 2tsp or borax with 1-1/3 cups od distilled water and warm to 150 dregees carefully pour water/borax mixture into wax/oil mixture ....let cool..i havent tried any but iam going to do the above combinations next time i get a deer with lower combination excluding the beeswax..the deer fat is as hard as beeswax anyhow

Back