Hornady 240 gr xtp mags

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd1700

Reaction score
Well I have been playing around with different powder and bullet combos trying to find a combo that will hold a tight group. Well boy howdy have I found one. CCI primer, 120 grains of loose pyrodex, and a 240 gr Hornady xtp mag. Here is what they do out of my 50 cal Omega. Three shots from 100 yards. I think I can live with that.

eb4d6b1d.jpg

Now the questions. Any idea what my muzzle velocity would be with this particular load? Any opinions on how this bullet should perform on whitetails at this velocity?

velocity

My guess would be 2070 to 2150.

6X6 may have a better velocity for you.

choc-dog

That is some real fine shooting there. I have not tried pushing them that hard. Maybe the next trip to the back yard I will have a go at it.

120 grains of loose pyrodex, and a 240 gr Hornady xtp mag

I'm thinking maybe 1900fps.. That's plenty though!

Just wondering which bullet that is... Is it the .451 caliber or the .430 cal?

BIG6x6 I'm kinda new to this so all I can tell you is that they are in a 20 pack box that says 50 CALIBER 45-240 XTP/MAG and they have a black sabot. There is an item number of #6727 on the plastic box if that helps. I can't see anywhere that it lists a specific precise bullet diameter.

Todd,those are the 45cal. bullets. I have a friend that shot that same bullet with 100grs. Pyrodex RS,and hit a buck @115yds. The bullet went completley through the buck leaving a huge exit wound,and almost severed the off side front leg off. They are a very good bullet for deer hunting.

.45 XTP

I took 2 deer with them this year (100gr Pyrodex), a nice buck @ 90yds and a doe @ 60yds. Both complete pass throughs, and both dropped like a stone. You can buy the Hornady sabots in a 50 pack and XTP bullets by the 100.

I use the 44cal (.430) 240gr XTP. I've tried several different bullet types and this particular bullet works the best for me (holes touching at 100yds). I've lost 2 deer (completely my fault) since I've been using them (5 years) and I didn't have to track the others. I've never figured out the speed, but I'm guessing close to 2000fps. I shoot an Encore with 130gr 777. I shot a nice 11 point this year that dressed out at 220lbs. One shot at 75yds, pass through and he only went 10ft.

My Dad's used the XTP's ever since they came out and won't shoot anything else. Awesome bullet.

xtp

From my experience the xtp's are hard to beat for the price. They are a darn good performing hunting bullet. I buy them in bulk in the 180 gr and 240 gr. My son shoots the 180's out of his optima pro with 2 777 pellets (that's all the recoil he can handle at this point) but they do a good job. He took an 8 point this year at the 200 yard mark and got a complete pass through the buck just fell over backwards. Your velocities depend alot on barrel length and temperatures. I'm sure your load will do just fine, especially with that kind of group. good shootin and good luck P.S. watch pushing the xtp too fast as they have been known to fragment in flight when pushed too hard.

i seen the great killing power they perform on whitetails this year.a guy i was hunting with shot a big doe at 87yrds on the rangefinder she only went 20 yards.big exit hole and lots of blood.i bought some 240 xtp's but they do not hold a pattern out of my apex..bummer

Latest posts

Back