Hornady 340 gr Bore Driver ELD-X Review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But how is the accuracy? That would be good to know. As far as fragmenting that really doesn't bother me. I'd rather have my bullet expend all its energy inside the animal than passing through
There are a few companies that even concentrate on controlled fracturing bullets (Berger and Lehigh to name a couple)
What do you think of this bullet for elk?

I am no bullet or ballistics expert by any means. I just go by trial and error of myself and others that I trust. Then add a little common sense on top to boot.
Now with that said......If that 340 gr Hornady bullet broke apart that bad being shot into water just imagine what would happen if you hit an elk's rib. Years back, I deer hunted for one year with the .54 cal 348 Gr Powerbelts. Thinking the extra weight would make a difference. That bullet exploded when it hit bone and did not penetrate well at all. I helped plenty of buddies track deer that were shot with 295 Powerbelts several decades ago. Most were broadside shots that hit rib or shoulder. The Powerbelts would typically grenade. On the tracking trail we would find blood and bone chips. We were about 50/50 on recovery due to lack of penetration.
Now I don't want to sound like I am bashing Hornady. They are by far my favorite ammo company and I was excited for the release of this new 340 gr BoreDriver ML bullet. However I wouldn't even consider this new bullet for deer hunting let alone elk hunting.

Last edited:
I am no bullet or ballistics expert by any means. I just go by trial and error of myself and others that I trust. Then add a little common sense on top to boot.
Now with that said......If that 340 gr Hornady bullet broke apart that bad being shot into water just imagine what would happen if you hit an elk's rib. Years back, I deer hunted for one year with the .54 cal 348 Gr Powerbelts. Thinking the extra weight would make a difference. That bullet exploded when it hit bone and did not penetrate well at all. I helped plenty of buddies track deer that were shot with 295 Powerbelts several decades ago. Most were broadside shots that hit rib or shoulder. The Powerbelts would typically grenade. On the tracking trail we would find blood and bone chips. We were about 50/50 on recovery due to lack of penetration.
Now I don't want to sound like I am bashing Hornady. They are by far my favorite ammo company and I was excited for the release of this new 340 gr BoreDriver ML bullet. However I wouldn't even consider this new bullet for deer hunting let alone elk hunting.
I've never killed anything with a muzzleloader. I've killed several elk with a rifle and bow. I hunted Colorado elk somewhere around 2008 with my Omega and Hornady fpb bullets. At the time, you had to cut off the plastic tip of the fpb's to make them Colorado legal. Got one shot oppurtunity at a cow and primer went pop, but powder did not ignite. Called Blackhorn and they said use 209A or CCI 209 magnum primers. Now I have a CVA Accura V2 I bought a few years ago and will be using it with a Williams Precision sight for upcoming Colorado elk hunt. Bullets seem to be somewhat of a crap shoot. Right charge, bullet and then open sights only. I was hoping the BoreDriver ELD-X would be the perfect bullet to hunt elk. Trajectory, accuracy and lethality. Now, I don't know. I have plenty of Boreloc's and have read where several people have had good success with them on elk. Not sure at this point what will be in my muzzy on this hunt.
Thanks for all the info.

Thanks for the the report I don't like frag bullets , I thought they would just lose the tip they look to explode differently every time they hit the jugs. I will not buy them after seeing this thanks for the report

Several people have asked about jags for these. I haven’t tried Hornady’s jag.

Barnes .50 Aligner - it works but hits the sides of the tip a little. No deformation though.

Standard .50 SpinJag - it presses on the end of the tip. But the tips on these are quite hard. It took a measured 75 lbs of force with this jag to slightly deform the tip.

The Parker .50 Spinjag and Arrowhead jags seem perfect for these.

I think for you Elk hunters the Harvester saber tooth 350 gr might be something to take a look at, they have done well for me on deer.

I still think these would be OK for elk but IMO the BOR Locks from Federal in 50 gr would be a better choice.
It would be interesting how these bullets would do with a lighter charge simulating a long range shot (lower velocity) which seems what these bullets are designed for. Don't know how they would compare with bullets like the Furys in the accuracy dept with that skirt though.

Shot one of these into water jugs today at 25 yards with 50 grV BH209. Velocity was 1212 fps.

Bullet penetrated 5 jugs and bounced off the backer. Recovered slug and jacket frag weighed 291.6 gr.

A223C1B5-F972-416B-B849-08C8AB8B9950.jpeg
340DCA4A-4F54-46E1-AB7D-985125CBB52F.jpeg

I did and I really don't see anything wrong with that bullet for deer sized game. Yes it lost a lot of its original weight but the core is still almost 200 gr. Between that and the fragments there would be a lot of tissue damage.
That’s with it hitting water. Imagine if it was hitting tissue or bone at those velocity’s.

Latest posts

Back