Hornady ELD-X at 500 yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a full example and using drift with trajectory. Using my current 350gr XLD with a BC of .450 from my custom. Notice the length is input.
To get 22moa at 500yds, even with a premier bullet and high BC, velocity would be 2008fps

Here's the full chart snipped. ;)

1701048525974.png

Paul, the next time you shoot that rifle down to Lake City, let me know. We'll get to the bottom of this LOL. I'll bring some tooling ;)
Still good shoot'n.
You should bring that Cooper down to Camp Atterbury next June and shoot with us.

Edit: If allowed and you're just practicing, I'll bring my rifle and shoot with you. Maybe you can give me some pointers I can use at the 1,000yd matches.

Last edited:
Yeah, it will drive us nuts …. but like you I use JBM to run long range ballistic simulations… it has me concerned that I entered your data from your first post and it does not match.

Yeah, it will drive us nuts …. but like you I use JBM to run long range ballistic simulations… it has me concerned that I entered your data from your first post and it does not match.
I'll end up resetting the calculator and try it tomorrow. I will use KNOWN data that is dead on accurate out to 1,000yds at Camp Atterbury. I'll print the whole sheet, including the information at the bottom. You can use that data and see if it'll match.

In the mean time, X-ring (Paul), is probably laughing his ask off at us...........

One last time............... I told you it'd drive a person nuts...............

This chart is ABSOLUTE dead on out to 1,000yds. Its ABSOLUTE at 800, 900 and 1,000yds

1701051712597.png

1701051755974.png

I'm going to take a couple Tylenol and go to bed........... :roll:

Ok that one matches. I dunno ….. I’m gonna pour a couple fingers of bourbon, sit back and forget about this thread for a while.
One thing I might add that is probably screwing you both up is that I was zeroed at 200 yards. My come ups were from there. I have a chronograph but never use it so I can't tell you what my muzzle velocity was. Once I find an accurate load, getting sight settings for a given distance is relatively easy if you have an experienced guy in the pits or your spotter can see where your bullet strikes like in BPC silhouette. I never worried about where the bullets go sub-sonic because there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Ballistic charts make my head hurt. Can you tell I am hopelessly old school? X

One thing I might add that is probably screwing you both up is that I was zeroed at 200 yards. My come ups were from there. I have a chronograph but never use it so I can't tell you what my muzzle velocity was. Once I find an accurate load, getting sight settings for a given distance is relatively easy if you have an experienced guy in the pits or your spotter can see where your bullet strikes like in BPC silhouette. I never worried about where the bullets go sub-sonic because there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Ballistic charts make my head hurt. Can you tell I am hopelessly old school? X
That..... certainly would make a huge difference with the zero at 200yds. Did you do that on purpose? :roll:

You're still invited to bring that Cooper down to Atterbury next June.

ooooohhh…. 22MOA from 200 yards!?! Yeah, that might make a bit of a difference. LOL…

tmp.jpg

Still doesn’t explain the differences we were getting entering the same parameters but I’m not gonna chase that.

That..... certainly would make a huge difference with the zero at 200yds. Did you do that on purpose? :roll:

You're still invited to bring that Cooper down to Atterbury next June.
Sorry for the confusion. I never shoot at less than 200 yards in matches or practice so all my come-ups start from there. I re-checked my dope book last night and it was 22 1/2 minutes from 200 to 500 yards. X

Latest posts

Back