Hornady 350gr FPB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hjbuys

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with these bullets? I saw them at Wal-mart today for $8 for a pack of 15 of them. I gather you don't use a sabot or lube? I would love to hear if anyone has used them and what they thought about it.

I have shot them in my Omega and my Triumph they shoot really well and when I shot a boar with them they both penetrated and expanded well.
The number one draw back on them is the fact that you will have to re-sight in they do not shoot the same place as sabots. Lee

I was actually thinking about trying them in the off season in a 1 and 48" twist Flintlock. If they shoot good, i will find a critter to shoot with it. :)

Can these be used with BH209. I believe they are 350+ grn.
They are clearing them out at Wal Mart.

adelmo said:
Can these be used with BH209. I believe they are 350+ grn.
They are clearing them out at Wal Mart.

BH209 does not reccomend any bullets over 350grn. Pretty much any bullet larger then 300grn you should not exceed 100grns by volume of powder.

I don't understand why you shouldn't go over 100 volumetric grains for a 350 gr bullet. I would think you could go more and would like the extra umph to get that big slug going as long as your shoulder can take the kick. Please enlighten me.

I just looked at the BH209 site. The only projectile they have a "NR" (not recommended) for 120 grains is the 444gr powerbelt. Up to 385gr (the hornady great plains conical) was fine for 120 grains.

http://blackhorn209.com/files/pdf/b209m ... erdata.pdf

I would still appreciate an explanation. Is it because there is too much
pressure build up for the gun to handle?

hjbuys said:
I don't understand why you shouldn't go over 100 volumetric grains for a 350 gr bullet. I would think you could go more and would like the extra umph to get that big slug going as long as your shoulder can take the kick. Please enlighten me.

The more powder, the more pressure the barrel has on it. They are just being safe because all muzzleloaders are not the same. Example, T/C Encore and a T/C Omega. The Encore you have a CF action that can with stand magnum CF rifles. And a big chunk of steal behind the breech plug. Then you have an Omega with a little flip up steel cover behind the breech plug. :shock: I'm sure very safe, but i'll take the encore and feel alot safer. :)

hjbuys said:
I just looked at the BH209 site. The only projectile they have a "NR" (not recommended) for 120 grains is the 444gr powerbelt. Up to 385gr (the hornady great plains conical) was fine for 120 grains.

I didnt click on the link, but my can of BH209 sitting in front of me right now says bullets over 350grns are not reccomended. Maybe you should call them and ask. :?

These bullets shoot nice out of a knight using BH209 but they are kind of tought to load without the QLA other than that id like to shoot an animal with it and see how it pans out :D

funman,
You may want to try pre-engraving the rifling on those FTBs before loading. Simply take out your breechplug, and run them point first through the barrel from the breech to muzzle. The bullets will then have the grooves cut by the lands already on them. Then, just line up the grooves with the lands at the muzzle, and they should load much easier. I can't and won't take credit for this tip. Someone much smarter than I posted this elsewhere. Hope it helps!

Grouse said:
hjbuys said:

I didnt click on the link, but my can of BH209 sitting in front of me right now says bullets over 350grns are not reccomended. Maybe you should call them and ask. :?

The reason is that they kind of rushed things to get them out to hunt with this fall and had not tested them beyond 350 gr, so they put that on the label. Now that they have tested them with bigger bullets, they have the new data on their website, but haven't had time to change the labeling on the bottles. I am sure by next fall the bottles with have new data on them.

I have been using the Hornady 350 grain with 90 to 100 gr of Blackhonrn 209 with good success

txhunter58 said:
Grouse said:
hjbuys said:

The reason is that they kind of rushed things to get them out to hunt with this fall and had not tested them beyond 350 gr, so they put that on the label. Now that they have tested them with bigger bullets, they have the new data on their website, but haven't had time to change the labeling on the bottles. I am sure by next fall the bottles with have new data on them.

I have been using the Hornady 350 grain with 90 to 100 gr of Blackhonrn 209 with good success

Exactly, they wanted to test the bullets 95% of the people would be using first. Those labels were printed before April of 2008, lots of testing in both the heavier muzzleloader bullets and cartridges loads has been done since then.

I have been shooting the Hornady FPB's in my Knight and NEF w/custom 209 plug and 80 grains of BH209. They really shoot excellent in the NEF as is, I discovered (as MOdeer mentioned above) that they need to be pre-rifled for the sharply crowned Knight. You can pre-rifle a whole pack in a couple minutes, and they will load straight and shoot more accurately. The first time I shot them, you really had to line them up perfectly on the crown, otherwise they would tip and deform slightly. The base (flare) of the bullet is .507" and you are trying to start it in a .502" hole, something has got to give. The rifles with QLA's (T/C's, CVA's), or a more tapered crown (NEF) have no problem swadging down the flare.

Have fired about 35 FPB bullets through my TC Encore. Groups were not fantastic but are good enough at 2.5-3" at 100 yards. Have tried only one powder load: 120 grains of 2F Goex Pinnacle. Perhaps the bullets will be more accurate when i get around to changing the powder load a little.

The FPB bullets load easily into the bore of my Encore. Both the hogs i killed had huge exit wounds-well over .75."

I just picked up 5 packs at Wallyworld for $9.00 a piece. I like the idea of a big, heavy bullet so hopefully they work.

Tried them a month ago, shooting 2 t7 pellets out of the encore. My groups were the same as Okie stated. 2-3 inches, plenty accurate for hunting in my book.

Grouse said:
hjbuys said:

The FPB is 350grns. It isn't over 350 , so should be O.K. anyway.

Latest posts

Back