Hornady 395g Sub-X Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G_0205.jpg

This bullet provided by phalanx

G_0220.jpg

Note the lines on the bullet left by the sizing process. These lines are not so pronounced on all other bullets.

G_0217.jpg

Shots on paper look to have yaw. Bottom hole is two bullets; top hole is one bullet.

G_0206.jpg

Bottles locate out 25 yard from muzzle. Powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn. Primer is Federal 209A. Vegetable fiber wad used.

G_0207.jpg

VIDEO

G_0212.jpg

Bullet hole in plywood shows yaw?

G_0211.jpg

Bullet destroyed first two bottles; went through next four bottles, and was caught by mazazine stack.

G_0213.jpg

Bullet not engraved by rifling. Appears it was sized too small? This shooter hates to pound the bullet down to the powder. This bullet went down to the powder nice, and easy. Wouldn't want it to be harder to push to the powder.

Thank you so very much Ron! I really appreciate you doing these tests as I find them very informative. The yaw is a bit troubling but maybe upsizing a little will cure that. It'll be a while but I'll try them in a sabot and if they yaw, I'll save them for reloading. Certainly retained its weight!!

John

Yesterday the bullet was shot in a 1:20 twist rifle, because it was so long. The 45 caliber rifle required the bullet be shot without sabot, after being sized to fit the barrel. This didn't work because the bullet did not expand into the rifling, and so experienced yaw.

Today the bullet was shot in a sabot, in a 50 caliber rifle, in a 1:28 barrel, even though the twist seemed too slow. It worked.

G_0221.jpg

G_0223.jpg

The bottles were placed out 25 yard from the muzzle. The powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn. Primer is STS 209.

G_0225.jpg

VIDEO

The bullet was caught by the sixth bottle. The first three bottles were destroyed. The fourth bottle held the red tip, and a piece of lead. The fifth bottle held a piece of copper, and a piece lead. A piece of copper was found on the horse.

One bullet was left over; it was shot through the clock. Speed @ 25 yard was 1472 fps.

G_0230.jpg

G_0227.jpg

G_0229.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you again Ron! Holy cow what a difference between the two shots, very impressive this time around and velocity is perfect for this bullet. I really didn't think the 1:28 would work based on GM 54's calculation. Just proves one has to shoot them to see how they do.

Shot out of an Omega? Oops close up looks like a Knight bolt? Just want to duplicate the gun if possible.

John

It lost quite a bit of weight but lets be real.....its still weighed over 325gr. That will still plow thru any deer yet give good expansion.

I really didn't think the 1:28 would work based on GM 54's calculation.
JBM said it was within the stable range but iirc the military suggests around 1.7+ stability rating for longer range. Out to 200 yards or so the lower end of the stability rating should be fine. Berger suggests no less than a 1.5 and kwk 1.5-2.0.

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Well within my needs, max range were I would use this load is around 100 yds, give or take 25.

Thanks for rerunning the numbers GM54.

John

At 1472fps MV its rating is 1.49 and at 1600fps its 1.53 according to Berger. What is so nice is after 100 yards the bullet has shed enough fps that the expansion should look more like the Hornady pics and at 200yards you can be pretty sure you got very good expansion still.

You wont get those results with a Barnes 400gr Original spire point. It wont expand by the time it gets that far. You sure dont need a 400gr bullet to kill a deer BUT.....The bullets are available and you dont need much BH209 to shoot them. :D

I was
i wonder how the .458 410 gr would fly out of my 52 knight with the 1 in 26" twist
I was thinking the same but the velocity looks a little slow and my concern is the bullet will come
apart. I still have 80-90 of the 375gr Red Hots for elk hunting but have a few hundred grey sabots that I would like to find a .458 bullet for but think I will look at something cast.

Got the bullet set up in one of my Omega rifles using 90gr of BH209 and a Harvester crush rib sabot this past weekend. No yaw issues. Looking forward to using it next month during our MZ season.

I only shot at 75yds but 2 of 4 were touching and the other 2 about 1/4 " apart from the two. So over all about 3/4 of an inch. Well within my needs where I plan on using the gun. I suspect it will open up a little more at 100yds and would require playing with the powder charge but it's okay for now.

Back