Hornady Bore Driver FTX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scienceguy

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how this new bullet system works. All kinds of info on the Hornady website. I contacted Hornady to see if they have any information/suggested load data for both black powder substitute and smokeless muzzleloaders.

I wrote an email to hornady about the bore driver ftx and making it in 45 and 54. I also commented about wanting the 58, 54, and 45 plains bullet back. their reply"

"Brad, Hopefully in the future we would produce a 45 Cal. in the Bore Driver projectiles. However with the 54 Cal. and larger, you may want to look at the round balls we are still producing. Thanks"

Heres my reply from Hornady:

Thanks for writing in to us. We have not done any testing in smokeless muzzleloaders. The extra velocity likely won't be a good fit for this bullet. Typically we don't do muzzleloader data and leave that up to the powder manufacturers.

Thank you and have a great day.

I will definitely give them a try, looks like a power belt with a better bullet, i have had good results with the ftx in my 52. hopefully they make the 45 soon

I agree, power belts were always accurate for me but I won't use on game. I do have enough FPB to last me but will surely try these out when I find them in stock

MIdway lists the B.C. at .135. Even for a muzzleloader bullet that is pretty poor. For short range whitetail hunting it will probably work great. I won't be holding my breath for it to come out in .45. There just aren't enough of us that shoot .45s. They never came out with a FPB in .45.

MIdway lists the B.C. at .135. Even for a muzzleloader bullet that is pretty poor. For short range whitetail hunting it will probably work great. I won't be holding my breath for it to come out in .45. There just aren't enough of us that shoot .45s. They never came out with a FPB in .45.

Makes you wonder dont it considering a 50cal 300gr FTX is rated at .200 BC and Hornady loads them to about 2075fps in their ammo. So its made for a similar MV.

Latest posts

Back