Hornady Bore Driver FTX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
For those of you who have used the Hornady Bore Driver FTX for big game, what kind of results did you get as far as penetration, blood trails?

Following. I have my Optima pro dialed in at 75 yds with these, haven't hunted with them yet, but they are extremely accurate. Think I'll give them a go.

Following. I have my Optima pro dialed in at 75 yds with these, haven't hunted with them yet, but they are extremely accurate. Think I'll give them a go.
Please let us know how they perform on game. I saw a commercial Ad yesterday on You-Tube about these bullets claiming they have controlled expansion and expand the same amount at high and low velocities? I'm curious about that!

I'd say that the initial reports seem to show that the product seals & either stays together but gives low expansion when slow, or jacket seperates at high velocity and hard bone hits. Perhaps that equates to it having some teething pains as to keeping the jacket bonded (at least in some of the tested bullets) and it seems to need faster velocities to get the expansion one would want.

Good things are it seems to seal good enough to be reliable with BlackHorn209, and Hornady has a great reputation for getting products right. Field reports are showing harvested animals. I'd use it over most of the powerbelts any day.

I still recommend sabots with jacketed handgun bullets or bullets designed for sabots/muzzleloaders in places that allow them (which are most states/hunts). If I was to hunt say Colorado, I'd at least play with these Hornady's and do some experimenting my self.

Other than availability issues, we have so many 'good' to 'great' options to choose from now-a-days its a great problem to have.

I‘ve killed some hogs with it. Haven’t killed any deer, but plan on it this MZ season in Texas.

I like it! Look for other posts from me on this bullet.

Latest posts

Back