Hornady FTX Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulions

Reaction score
I took the Encore Endeavor and some of the new Hornady FTX bullets to the range this weekend. I was using the .430/265 gr. bullet with the Harvester green and green crush rib sabots. The weather was about 55 - 60 degrees with little to no wind. I already had some tubes filled with 110gr/volume or 77/gr by weight of BH209 so I decided that was what I would use on this trip. I first shot a fouling shot with a 250gr shockwave and a harvester Short Black sabot to make sure the scope was still on. It was, so I started shooting the FTX's. I noticed that the crushed rib loaded quite a bit easier so I figured it wouldn't shoot as well as the regular with the BH209 powder. I settled on the regular green sabot( I thought they were a little more consistent) and started to fine tune it a little and try to shoot a group. The first three shots were just to the left of the center line so I adjusted the scope 2 clicks to the right and shot the last two shots that cut the center line on the target about a half inch apart. Here are a couple of the targets.

.430/265gr. FTX/Harvester Green Sabot.
HornadyFTXRangeReport001.jpg

.430/265gr. FTX/Harvester Green Crush Rib Sabot
HornadyFTXRangeReport002.jpg

Thanks Saxman. 110 yards. I really think if I did my part the groups would shrink even more. I get impatient and have a hard time making myself squeeeeze the trigger.

BC

Anyone have a clue as to the BC on these 265gr x .430 bullets. It should be better than the 250 sst. I called hornady quite a while ago and no one could tell me at the time. I will be trying some of these soon. On a side note I went to cabelas fri. to get powder brass and bullets for centerfire reloading. I wanted RL 22, RL 19 and h4831 SC. Went home with brass and bullets and no powder. I hope hornady keeps these new bullets coming with the economy cratering as i'm looking forward to the heavier jacket .40 cal
Wayles

Re: BC

wayles said:
Anyone have a clue as to the BC on these 265gr x .430 bullets. It should be better than the 250 sst. I called hornady quite a while ago and no one could tell me at the time. I will be trying some of these soon. On a side note I went to cabelas fri. to get powder brass and bullets for centerfire reloading. I wanted RL 22, RL 19 and h4831 SC. Went home with brass and bullets and no powder. I hope hornady keeps these new bullets coming with the economy cratering as i'm looking forward to the heavier jacket .40 cal
Wayles

Hornady claims 265 gr .430 has a BC of .225 on their sight. I wonder if that 200 grain .358 would stabilize out of a Knight .45 with the MMP .45/.358 sabots? Wonder if the sabot petals would be long enough and if it would hold up over 120 grains of BH209? The BC on that one is .300. :shock: Check out both of these links.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=789

http://www.hornady.com/images/sell_shee ... ets%20.pdf

hornady

Busta
Thanks for the info. Hornady has updated the info since I was last there. Don't know if the .358 will work or not but I intend to see if they will in the .45 knight. I am confident the 265gr .430 will be an exceptional shooter in the .50 encore. Just finished buying a new burris 4.5 x 14 for the .45 cal encore barrel so it will get its chance to shoot the .358's also.
Wayles

WOW!!! being able to shoot in 50 to 65 degree weather.

Chocdog

Yea, that's Florida weather for you. It was about 30 degrees this morning.

Busta said:
I wonder if that 200 grain .358 would stabilize out of a Knight .45 with the MMP .45/.358 sabots? Wonder if the sabot petals would be long enough and if it would hold up over 120 grains of BH209?

I have been eyeing up the same combo for about a month. Almost ordered some the other week but they were not available at the time. I have been told that the MMP .45/.358 sabots are for the boat tail PR bullets. Not sure how well the .358 flat base will seat in that sabot.

Reese said:
Busta said:
I wonder if that 200 grain .358 would stabilize out of a Knight .45 with the MMP .45/.358 sabots? Wonder if the sabot petals would be long enough and if it would hold up over 120 grains of BH209?

I have been eyeing up the same combo for about a month. Almost ordered some the other week but they were not available at the time. I have been told that the MMP .45/.358 sabots are for the boat tail PR bullets. Not sure how well the .358 flat base will seat in that sabot.

I figured there would something that would spoil that idea, just figured it would be the length of the petals. Are you sure the MMP sabots would be molded for the boat tail? The PR Bullet sabots would be their baby, MMP has not sold others proprietary offerings before. There may be a glimmer of hope that these are for flat based bullets.

I knew a guy that shot the .45/.358's around 20 years ago, I think he was using .357 XTP's or something. I imagine these don't move very fast for MMP and may me old stock/formula that wouldn't hold up to BH209 anyway. Guess one of us is going to have to call Del and find out.

Busta said:
Reese said:
Busta said:

I figured there would something that would spoil that idea, just figured it would be the length of the petals. Are you sure the MMP sabots would be molded for the boat tail? The PR Bullet sabots would be their baby, MMP has not sold others proprietary offerings before. There may be a glimmer of hope that these are for flat based bullets.

I knew a guy that shot the .45/.358's around 20 years ago, I think he was using .357 XTP's or something. I imagine these don't move very fast for MMP and may me old stock/formula that wouldn't hold up to BH209 anyway. Guess one of us is going to have to call Del and find out.

There could still be hope. The orange .45/.358 sabots that I have are about four to five years old. I bought them in bulk and off the shelf at Cabela's. I was testing flat based 357 Mag bullets in them and they did not seat very well. When I heard about them being for the boat tail PR bullets it seemed to make sense from my experience. Configuration of that sabot could have changed since then.

Latest posts

Back