Hornady SST-ML Bullet/Sabot Opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not meaning to be disrespectful but, even within your post there's enough conflict to consider it no better than a "good" bullet and mostly for being accurate. I'm a little confused and so may the OP but, if it performs "well at close range out to 250 yards", yet it could still "fragment under 50 yards.." and It (SST) also "appear to perform differently at different ranges and velocities"?

I respect all opinions and carefully consider all posted responses. The SST (Shockwave) is a very accurate bullet and is the primary reason that I shoot it. It allows for excellent shot placement which I believe is critical for success. I shoot the 200 grain shockwave because it is fast and I believe flattens the rainbow trajectory for which muzzle loaders are famous. I have also found that what may be a good bullet for one shooter may be an excellent bullet for another. To eliminate bullet fragmentation at close range one only need to shoot through the chest - it will pass through with no fragmentation and if it hits a rib will leave a very nice hole - either way the blood trail is usually sufficient.

Shockwave terminal performance on deer out to 250 yards with shoulder shots is excellent although meat damage can be severe. While I have had the shock waves fragment on shoulder shots doing a lot of damage. There is little doubt in my mind that the shockwave is transferring a lot of energy as it fragments. This may result in only one hole with no exit. I believe there is a post in this forum in which the writer feels that a bullet should expend its energy completely inside of the animal. I also feel, however, that on a chest shot a pass through is beneficial. I track very well but still like the best possible blood trail in the hope of finding an animal quickly before the coyote's do.

I am in total agreement with one of the previous posts that stated there are many variables impacting bullet performance which may account for the different experiences each of us may have with the same bullet. Currently I am having very good results with a lighter faster bullet in a modern inline muzzle loader and will probably continue with it. This will of course change should I hunt bear, elk or mule deer - I may move to the 250.

Latest posts

Back