hornady xtp mag??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt_Racer

Reaction score
I HAVE A T/C ENCORE I AM HEADING TO THE RANGE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME THE PROS AND CONS OF THE HORNADY XTP VS THE HORNADY XTP MAG???I HUNT IN THE WOODS SO MY SHOTS ARE NOT MORE THAN 100 YDS MAX.I HAVE BENN USING 2 50 GR TRIPLE 777 PELLETS AND AM BATTLING THE INFAMOUS CRUD RING, SO IAM PICKING UP SOME GOEX PINNACLE TO SEE IF THAT WOULD HELP IT OUT AT ALL. PLANNING ON SHOOTING 100GR OF IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS FROM THERE . MUCH HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED!!!!!!!

The XTP/Mags were designed with a bit higher velocity range for their maximum terminal performance than the standard XTPs.

(From Hornady's performance graph)
45 cal - 240 XTP/Mag = 1100 to 2100 fps
45 cal - 300 XTP/Mag = 1100 to 2100 fps

45 cal - 250 XTP = 800 to 1600 fps
45 cal - 300 XTP = 800 to 1700 fps

I shoot the standard XTPs (250 gr) out of my Encore with great performance on Whitetails. If I was shooting much higher velocities at close range, I might consider the XTP/Mags instead. The standard XTPs have given me no reason to change at this point.

Just my two cents,
tooldog

Pistol bullet jacket thickness matters when you need it the most..like hitting shoulder blades etc at very close range.

Chocdog

Latest posts

Back