How did everyone do this season!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franksauto

Reaction score
I know some of you are still hunting but our season is done. It ended Dec 31st. I can't complain but I always do. I actually did ok. I ended up with 4 for the season. A decent archery 6 point, 2 archery does and a muzzleloader doe. I just cant seem to put tag on a 5th deer. Most I ever tagged in MA is 4 in a season. I did have my chances but blew it. I shot over a P&Y buck at 20 yards and missed a small doe Muzzleloading. I have had my chances at several big ones over the years but I usually blow it.
Anyway good luck to you guys still hunting.
Frank

Got skunked, first time in 34 years of deer hunting, BUT was along to watch my daughter and one of her friends each get opening day deer :D

After living in Iowa where I could get an any sex tag and as many doe tags as I wanted and then moving to New Mexico where I am lucky just to be able to draw out for a hunt, I am grateful that I had a chance to go out for both deer and elk this year. Deer hunting was fantastic and I took my 7 year old daughter out for her first time and she was amazing. Definitely one of the best times I have ever had. Then I had a lucky/incredible stalk on a nice deer that I still smile over. To finish it off, I really lucked out and drew a late cow elk tag in one of the most pristine elk hunting areas in the entire country and shot my first elk. Combine the hunting with the good times spent with a good friend, and I really couldn't ask for more. Memories for a lifetime.

I did great this year. I didn't shoot any deer , but I did get two used guns. I got a .410 Mossberg 500 and a Model 64 Winchester in 32 Win. Spec. Sorry , this is all I got to brag about this season.

4 deer in a season, wow! Must be nie to live in states like that. This year I took my 7 year old boy on his first deer hunt and was able to get a decent mulie on the last hour of light with him. Great experience. Hope everyone had a good and safe 2008 and hears to a better 2009

billyzink said:
Got skunked, first time in 34 years of deer hunting, BUT was along to watch my daughter and one of her friends each get opening day deer :D
Wow! Thats even better in my book. Cant wait till my son takes one although he has lost interest. He's 14 now and getting into girls (lucky bastard). I only got him out twice this season. He did get to see a doe.
Great job on the girls getting deer.
Frank

I killed a ML Doe and a ML Buck this year, as well as a doe with my old faithful Remington 700 30-06. For my rifle doe, I had my oldest son (he's 5 years old) with me. Did him good. His 3 year old brother is wanting to go hunting with me now. :D I told him in maybe a year or two.

Nothing yet still trying, too many does in our area thats all i see. but i have alot more hunting time in flordia so the anticipation must keep building i guess :roll:

hi gang been a great season got two bucks(6 and 9 pts) with my 300wm shooting a cast boolit (my first cast kills) a doe with the 22/250 (first blood for this gun) and two doe more with my homegrown smokeless ( boomflop ) also got to watch my buddy head shoot a wounded doe with my smokeless gun at135yds hope you had as much fun as i did clint

Hunting was good on the farm that I hunt. There were nine deer taken from the farm by those hunting it. I personally got three, two Does and a Buck a six point. Five on one side and just the brow tine on the other, the rest was broken off. Landowner told me when he allowed me to hunt the farm that I had to take a doe before a buck. Deer ratio is really screwed up in this area and we have been trying to thin the doe population some to get it in a better balance. Neighbors are trying to do some QDM management and have about 5000 acres committed to it. I thought the one I shot was a cull because of the spike on one side (have seen others like this on the farm and thought it was genetics) but it turned out that he had broken it off.

So far, I have four deer down... :)

Two archery bucks (one in VA and one in OH), one archery doe in OH and one ML doe in OH.

Now, I get to hunt archery till the end of March for antlerless deer! Ft. Belvoir, VA has a six-month deer season, although most of it is for archery only...

My wife has been telling me about a piebald doe that has been hanging out near one of my favorite areas...never have taken a piebald deer, so I may have to go and hang out in a tree some more!

Life is good, Life is fine

I would say I had a good year. This was my first year hunting with a ML, and I taged a nice doe on day 2.

turned out pretty danged good. although I am out of buck tags in IL we are headed back up for a doe hunt in a few days, so maybe a few more to add.

my best year for sure...

IL 10pt...TC 50 cal, BH209, SW 250, Harvester Smooth Shorts
DSC00746.jpg

IL 9pt...bowkill...me on left
DSC00667.jpg

IN coyote that bit it (cell pic) TC 50 cal, BH209, SW 250, Harvester Smooth Shorts
1212081157a.jpg

and my largest buck to date
IN 10pt...TC 50 cal, BH209, SW 250, Harvester Smooth Shorts
10ptin.jpg

10ptin2.jpg

mein2.jpg

mengaryin2.jpg

had a good year, shot 7 deer only one with a muzzleloader now iam going to work on some hogs as soon as i get my new Savage ML10 sited in

Shot a 60lb doe that turned into a nice batch of stuffed sausage... TC Triumph, 110g BH, and a 250 bonded SW,,, bang, flop, DRT... :)

I chose late season muzzleloader season this year and so far aside from freezing, I have been skunked! I had as many as 30 deer in the turnips at one time and not one shooter.

At least bow season was kind....

Shot a doe that run a hundred yards across a corn field into the woods and fell over twenty yards from where my buck fell last year after he run about a hundred and twenty yards across the same field after being hit.
Both were shot with my Encore sporting an S.M.I. 50cal barrel with 250gr. xtp.
Don

Latest posts

Back