How did your hunt go today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
I'm always interested in hearing how the day's hunt went when I pass other hunters in the field. Since hunting season is well on-its-way in many States, I'd imagine there's a lot of forum members who have and are now hunting big game weekly. For many of us, time-off to go hunting can be a precious window of time.
So how did your hunt go today?
Weathered-out?... Saw nuthin'?...Missed one?...Spooked one?...One too many hunters?...Forgot something?...Lost something?...Go to plan B?...Go to plan C!!!...etc.
Those are just a few of my typical hunting adventures.
So how did your hunt go today?

Deer starts 11-2 so I need to get out soon to check out the place.

Im headed out to my lease in awhile see if I can put more Doves on the grill this weekend . Also checking my cameras and make sure plenty of corn in the feeders for the pigs and coons . plan on doing some night hunting Friday or Saturday night. Had several nice Deer on cameras last week with my luck they are in next county by now. Will take my crossbow this afternoon just in case they are still around its bow season now.

Day ☀ AND night 🌔 hunting...you're quite the "Outdoors"man Mark1945. Life is short and sounds like you're making the most of it.👍

Just got back home got a few Doves. Changed cards in my cameras still have Deer at my feeders ,but they still have time to disappear before gun season.maybe they will hang around for me to get a shot with my crossbow. I know I will have hogs and coons for sure this weekend they never fail to show up. I only live about 20 miles from my lease so its not a big deal to go there every chance I get. My assistant loves to go too or at least set in the Jeep.

Attachments

• Finn in Jeep.jpg
    Finn in Jeep.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I haven't made it out whitetail hunting yet. Archery elk is done, had several encounters and they were fairly vocal this year but they seemed to want to hold tight this year and make the "other elk" they were hearing come to them. Still lots of fun though.
Whitetail season here is generous, in my area's main units it runs from Oct 10th clear until Dec. 1st. for "any weapon" season. There is also a couple late seasons after that, one for muzzleloader and one for archery. I don't get too serious until the pre-rut starts to get going, which is around Nov. 8th give or take. I do plan to spend some time in a tree this weekend with my bow.
Next weekend I'm going to an area about 2.5 hours away and camping for the weekend to hunt. Should be interesting, there's already 6" of snow up there. I think the wall tent stove will be busy. This hunt is a beginning tradition we just started, my father-in-law initiated it a couple years ago when my son was only 3 years old. So my son gets to do a wall tent camp hunting weekend in the woods with his dad, grandpa, and great uncle. With him that young it basically consists of one of us staying at camp with him while the others go hunting, and then taking him on atv rides during the day. This year his great grandpa is coming up for a day too.
I hope it is something that is very fond memories for him later in life.

I have been out several times this month squirrel hunting with my .32 flint lock. Today was a beautiful day to be in the woods. The fall colors are at peak here in SE CT and it was comfortably cool. Saw eight squirrels, got shots at 5 of them and took 3. Missed two easy close shots. I think I shot right over the litter buggers. While squirrel hunting I am also checking for deer sign. Found a few rubs today and a couple of small scrapes. The deer season does not start for me until Nov 20.

I...
Next weekend I'm going to an area about 2.5 hours away and camping for the weekend to hunt. Should be interesting, there's already 6" of snow up there. I think the wall tent stove will be busy. This hunt is a beginning tradition we just started, my father-in-law initiated it a couple years ago when my son was only 3 years old. So my son gets to do a wall tent camp hunting weekend in the woods with his dad, grandpa, and great uncle. With him that young it basically consists of one of us staying at camp with him while the others go hunting, and then taking him on atv rides during the day. This year his great grandpa is coming up for a day too.
I hope it is something that is very fond memories for him later in life.
What a great "tradition" ya got going there. I've never had the opportunity to hunt in the snow out of a stove tent, but it sounds adventurous!

I have been out several times this month squirrel hunting with my .32 flint lock...
Those "buggers" are mighty small targets. That should fine tune your marksmanship come deer season.

I need to check out the deer situation here. I think I'll use the opportunity to look for squirrels

I went bowhunting this afternoon with plans to occupy my stand for the last 3.5 hours of daylight. I arrived at my stand on time only to discover the deer had already moved into the area. All I saw were white flags bouncing away.
I never saw another deer the rest of the day.. Right place wrong time.

Marty , That sounds like the kind of hunting I manage to do most of the time.

Aaarrgh...Sometimes it pays to get up early; and sometimes it pays to stay home.

Aaarrgh...Sometimes it pays to get up early; and sometimes it pays to stay home.
Yea... overall I've always done better with morning hunts vs. evening...except during the rut. Then I'll hunt all hours of the day.

Productive day hunting yesterday. Hunted a new area and saw 2 bucks right around sunset. I'll need to keep this area in mind come firearms season.

Went to my lease yesterday afternoon, didnt see a thing checked my cameras and hat 2 bucks and 2 does at my feeders 2 hours before I arrived and several Hogs also . That is about normal luck for me.

v6IEwqo.jpg

At least I know I was hunting in the right general area this afternoon. No sighting however of the buck that made this fresh rub.

Killed a doe Sunday morning. She and two others came into the pipeline field I was hunting a little over two hundred yards away. I’ve kinda wanted to take a long shot with my Accura but decided to see if they would come closer. One left the field but the one I shot fed down to about 100 yards away and then started running toward me. She ended up about 20 yards from the shooting house I was in. She gave me an easy shot and will be gracing my table soon.

Killed a doe Sunday morning. She and two others came into the pipeline field I was hunting a little over two hundred yards away. I’ve kinda wanted to take a long shot with my Accura but decided to see if they would come closer. One left the field but the one I shot fed down to about 100 yards away and then started running toward me. She ended up about 20 yards from the shooting house I was in. She gave me an easy shot and will be gracing my table soon.
Congrats on the doe! Sounds like you made the right call to pass on the "long shot."'

Latest posts

Back