how do i make a old barrel shinny inside ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
my .50 optima was pretty nasty inside when it was given/loaned to me and i got it fairly clean but it is still kinda grey . i have .50 cal nylon brushes and a .50 bore mop . what should i put on them to make it nice and shinny inside ? i'm sure a lot of elbow grease is gonna be needed but what can i use to minimize the wear and tear on my shoulder/arm ?
BTW .... how clean is clean enough ?
thanks , jeff

do i put this on my bore mop or do i need to buy the felt pellets in the video ?

how does using Sharp Shoot R Wipe-Out or CVA foaming bore cleaner compare to the jb bore compound and kroil ?

Last edited:
@JeffB1961 We have a process that may work for you.

Step 1: I would recommend using some kind of muzzleloader foaming bore cleaner and letting it sit for 12-24 hours. That will allow the bore cleaner to break down any stubborn carbon that is clinging to the inside of the barrel.

Step 2: Then I would recommend thoroughly scrubbing the inside of the barrel with a bore brush. A brass brush is preferable here but your nylon brush will also work if that is all that you have access to.

Step 3: You will probably find that this loosens up additional residue that will now need to be cleaned using a combination of wet and dry patches. Thor solvent will work particularly well for this part, however, any black powder solvent will work. Depending on how dirty the barrel is, you may need to repeat this process a few times to achieve complete cleanliness.

Step 4: Once your muzzleloader is completely clean, I would recommend using some form of rust preventative or bore butter to season the inside and outside of the barrel.

I hope that this helps!

JeffB1961

The first couple of posts suggest a very good method (probably the best method) for cleaning/polishing your bore.

Since you are working on an Optima - I really suggest you for-go the Bore Butter suggestion - it is a OK product for real black powder, but if you are shooting T7 or BH stay with the suggested Bore JB Bore Paste

And I believe you are correct it will take more than one application and a lot diligence running the cleaning rod up and down.

I will add this thought and the method that has worked very well for me. This was my reply to about the same question as you have proposed.

When you ran your JB paste in your bore - did you just oil a patch and coat with paste and run it with your jag?
Thanks,

Yes, you might have to double your patch to get a tight fit. But I ran a Synthetic oiled patch (no petroleum products in the bore) with JB's smeared on the sides...ran that side 25 strokes top to bottom (important) then flip the patch over and run another 25 strokes. Did this 4 times, each time using a new patch(s) then clean up the bore and see what you might have accomplished... On my Triumph I ran this operation twice.

Hope this helps
mike

thanks for the replies and sorry for not replying sooner Mslyards ..... it's a 2003 .50 optima . i initially thought it was SS but finding info on it is kind of hit and miss and FWIU it's is or may be nickel or nickel plated . it was loaded for 10+ years (no primer though) when i got it . it looks exactly like this one except mine has a black stock .

if i get the JB & kroil can i put them on a .45 jag with a strip of blue/green nylon scrubby thingy and still get good results ? barrel was black and gunky with a heavy crud ring . got the crud ring out and there is minor pitting where it was but i'm told it's not enough to worry about . the rifling is looks nice but the full length inside is grey . it was suggested to me to clean to a shinny polished inside .... i guess for better accuracy .

thanks again folks , jeff

Do NOT use the "blue/green nylon scrubby thing". JB and Kroil on a snug fitting patch is more than enough. The only way to truly assess the bore is with a borescope. I have had bores that shined like mirrors and when scoped small pits and rust spots were revealed.

IMO don't worry about the color. If the bore is clean and you cannot remove any more fouling out of it from normal cleaning shoot the darn thing and have fun. There may be a moly coating on it from the previous owner or something else. But if its clean its fine.

Do NOT use the "blue/green nylon scrubby thing". JB and Kroil on a snug fitting patch is more than enough. The only way to truly assess the bore is with a borescope. I have had bores that shined like mirrors and when scoped small pits and rust spots were revealed.

just curious , what problem can nylon scrubby thingies cause ?

Back