How do you clean plastic fouling from your bore?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have started using US Bore Paste ( old JB bore paste )

Just cleaned my ULA and HBLE with this yesterday and patches came out thick black plastic all over them...

Just wonder what you guys use or what works for you?
I like a bore mop soaked in MEK and I run it up an down slowly for a full minute on my J Dewey cleaning rod followed by a bronze brush soaked in Shooters Choice for another full minute followed by dry patches. I've never had this combination fail me. A word of warning...don't let that MEK contact anything other than metal and I highly recommend using nitrile gloves as well.

Yer right about MEK — methyl ethyl ketone. It’s a great solvent — but really, really dangerous. BTW, why are sabots so popular? What do they do better than conventional bullets?

Yer right about MEK — methyl ethyl ketone. It’s a great solvent — but really, really dangerous. BTW, why are sabots so popular? What do they do better than conventional bullets?
MEK isn't meant to be in the hands of people that lack the good sense to use the appropriate precautions when using it. It's no more inherently dangerous than gunpowder. As far as your other question, what are these conventional bullets you speak of? 45 caliber bullets in a sabot for a 50 caliber muzzleloader for instance have long been proven method in muzzleloaders.
Bullet to bore is not for everyone...too many special procedures.

What are these special procedures you speak of? My question here is a simple one: will someone teach me about sabots? Are they purported to be more accurate? Faster? Cleaner? Easier to load? Less expensive? I’m sure sabots have their adherents. I would just like to know why.

What are these special procedures you speak of? My question here is a simple one: will someone teach me about sabots? Are they purported to be more accurate? Faster? Cleaner? Easier to load? Less expensive? I’m sure sabots have their adherents. I would just like to know why.
Okay...the special procedures I'm talking about are sizing the bullet to fit your specific bore using a press and a sizing die. Furthermore, generally some sort of over powder wad is needed to seal the powder charge behind the bullet to ensure good powder charge ignition.
As far as the sabot situation is concerned, in a for instance situation, in a 50 cal. muzzleloader, you can use a 50 caliber sabot with a 45 caliber bullet directly over the powder charge and get excellent accuracy. This all is common knowledge.

Okay...the special procedures I'm talking about are sizing the bullet to fit your specific bore using a press and a sizing die. Furthermore, generally some sort of over powder wad is needed to seal the powder charge behind the bullet to ensure good powder charge ignition.
As far as the sabot situation is concerned, in a for instance situation, in a 50 cal. muzzleloader, you can use a 50 caliber sabot with a 45 caliber bullet directly over the powder charge and get excellent accuracy. This all is common knowledge.

My question here is a simple one: will someone teach me about sabots? Are they purported to be more accurate? Faster? Cleaner? Easier to load? Less expensive? I’m sure sabots have their adherents. I would just like to know why.

Your question is “fair enough.”

Here’s start, toward an explanation:
What is a sabot? - Knight Rifles

Plenty additional conversation possible, but the above page is a good starting point…

Latest posts

Back