How does one choose a powder for CF

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious as to how one chooses the best powder from the list of powders that are listed in a reloading manual to start off with in reloading for a particular cartridge. In the past when powders were cheaper, I use to read articles and posts to see what everybody used for a particular cartridge and bullet. But with the prices of powder and bullets today, how can a novice choose a powder from reading a reloader's manual? Do they select what gives you the fastest velocity with the least amount of powder or what?

I look at what powder fills the case the most, load density
I also look at velocity for the bullet weight I am choosing to use but mostly the fill of the case

Same here, was taught a long time ago. Pick a book listed powder that has the highest percentage fill capacity. I never went for the fastest velocity I’m looking for best accuracy. Also don’t go by others hype about certain powders. To this day I use a lot of old school powders not the newest and greatest..

In some cases (me that is) the powder choice may be determined by being able to use it in multiple cartridges that a re-loader may own. For killing groundhogs its not important to have a high velocity 243 Win. round. If you can hit them with whatever in a 243 they will die. The same powder could work good in a 308 Winchester, 223 or 338 win mag. For deer in the 243 I wanted a high velocity 100 grain load so HVs statement applies. When I first started reloading a man told me to "get the mostes for the leastes".

Eventually youll find a gun does not like a particular powder with a particular bullet. So you try other powders. Again, In hopes of using it in multiple cartridges. I was always stuck on using 100 grain Nosler partitions for my 243 Winchester and deer hunting. 70 grain TNT for hogs. Luckily my gun wasn't fussy.

Research what others are loading in your caliber, and possibly same model rifle you have. Of course the usual loading manuals and max load disclaimers apply.
Next, it depends on what bullet/ velocity combo works best for your needs. Be careful about velocity vs bullet construction. If you like, say a .30 cal 180 Spitzer, but you don't need full throttle loads, that bullet might not give reliable expansion. Of course, it can go the other way too!
I used to load .30-30 bullets in the .300 Savage. 2500 fps for the 150s and 2400 fps for the 170s. VERY gooey chests...
My .35 Remington, as typically loaded, is kinda marginal as far as velocity goes, for dramatic expansion. With that, I go for full throttle. 45 grains of LVR gives a 200 grain Core Lokt 2284 fps from my 22 inch Remington 760. That extra 284 fps will matter on contact.
If you don't need or want full throttle loads, tailor your bullet choice to the desired speed.

The reason why I’m asking is I always used H4831SC for my 280Rem and IMR 3031 for my 35Rem. Now my grandsons want me to reload for their 30-06, 270 and 7MM-08. The one that has the 7-08 wants to use Varget powder? So I was hoping to purchase one or two powders. They all want accuracy shoot 140gr bullets out of their 7MM-08 and 270. The 30-06 wants to shoot 150gr bullets.
Naturally they all want one hole groups? 😳

I generally start with the most accurate loading from the Lyman reloading manual. I load 10 with that and then pick 2 or 3 powders that bracket the burn rate of the Lyman recommended powder and load 10 each with a range of charge weights and head to the range. It sounds like a lot but I like to shoot and I can usually get my "most accurate" load in a day at the range.

The reason why I’m asking is I always used H4831SC for my 280Rem and IMR 3031 for my 35Rem. Now my grandsons want me to reload for their 30-06, 270 and 7MM-08. The one that has the 7-08 wants to use Varget powder? So I was hoping to purchase one or two powders. They all want accuracy shoot 140gr bullets out of their 7MM-08 and 270. The 30-06 wants to shoot 150gr bullets.
I use Varget for my 223. It is damn hard to find right now and expensive. I picked up a pound of Shooters World Precision Rifle powder at a gun show that has very similar burn characteristics as Varget and that is virtually indistinguishable in my 223 both in charge weight and accuracy. It is half the price of Varget too so I have found my new 223 powder.

Powder is going to be only one variable in chasing the best hand loaded cartridges. Bullet seating depth, primer choices, bullet types, to neck size or not… the list goes on. Not to mention match grade. You may find yourself weighing each bullet for minor variations etc. Enjoy the journey it’s fun to experiment. As for me most of what I load for needs to be at least Moa for deer. Pistol is more about soft recoil so I tend to stay min charge to cycle.

That said it really is about availability and multiple purposes. For example I have 16 pounds of lil gun. That one powder loads my 300 black out, 410 shells, 350 legend and 450 bushmaster all of which I have.

Now my grandsons want me to reload for their 30-06, 270 and 7MM-08. The one that has the 7-08 wants to use Varget powder?
I appreciate you are willing to load the grandsons cartridges. If hes so picky about having Grandpa load his cartridges with a specific powder the option is clear. Let hm provide the powder.

Ed

IMR 4064 will do all of them very well.

It's what I replaced Varget with, when you couldn't find it OR afford it :)

Although it's not readily available on-line right now, it is in my local gun stores now.

Last edited:

I can tell you.from experience that 4831 will work well in the '06 and the 270. Many years and rounds of experience in these.
The 7/08 is basically a .243, 4831 will work ok, 4350 will work a little better. I use Varget in my .375 H&H, only because I couldn't find 4895.
I always started with the powder that listed the most accurate load, if I had it.
YMMV.

I like powders I can use in a bunch of loadings, without compromising to much. I bought some off a guy moving not long ago, good assortment now. By looking through manuals or online one gets ideas of common choices.

Latest posts

Back