How does one choose a powder for CF

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious as to how one chooses the best powder from the list of powders that are listed in a reloading manual to start off with in reloading for a particular cartridge. In the past when powders were cheaper, I use to read articles and posts to see what everybody used for a particular cartridge and bullet. But with the prices of powder and bullets today, how can a novice choose a powder from reading a reloader's manual? Do they select what gives you the fastest velocity with the least amount of powder or wha
My reloading practice for years , has been to pick one powder that works in all my rifles.
218 Bee
243 Win
32 Win SPL made in 1902
303 British
45\90 win1886 made in 1892
This time it was Reloader 10X as example
also a pound of Varget, only ones available to me over the last 3 years.

Ed I'll have to look when I get back home but IMR3031 for the 35 Rem is spot on. For the 280 and 270 IMR4350 was always a super accurate powder. I load for the 7-08 too but don't remember what powder. I'm thinking IMR4064 and/or H4198 but I'd have to check.
I've used Varget in a number of cartridges but again I'd have to look at my load book.

I always look online at multiple sites to see what the suggested or most accurate powder is for a caliber, but if Varget is listed at all, that’s what I use and am rarely disappointed.

I do use 7828ssc in my 270 Win loads.

Consult the load books. Look for a powder that has a 90% fill capacity and is available. Ask experienced, reloaders. Don't go right to max charge, I usually start in the upper half of the charge weights. Finally what works for somebody else might not work for your rifle. Bullet seating depth is more in the accuracy equation than powder selection IMHO.

Latest posts

Back