How long do you leave unprimed guns loaded?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windyhills

Reaction score
Curious if there are any ramifications. I know a lot of guys shoot their gun at the end of each day of hunting but have heard that is unnecessary. I know there's a danger of powder getting damp but if kept in a cool/dry location? Imagine powder has some bearing on it too, I am using 777 pellets.

FWIW--legal to transport here if unprimed.

Curious if there are any ramifications. I know a lot of guys shoot their gun at the end of each day of hunting but have heard that is unnecessary. I know there's a danger of powder getting damp but if kept in a cool/dry location? Imagine powder has some bearing on it too, I am using 777 pellets.

I knew a guy that forgot to shoot and clean his gun, at the end of season. Following season, he swabbed his barrel put a 209 primer in to foul the barrel. He fouled it, it was still loaded and went off ! Thank god it was pointed towards the ground.he used 777 pellets.

I knew a guy that forgot to shoot and clean his gun, at the end of season. Following season, he swabbed his barrel put a 209 primer in to foul the barrel. He fouled it, it was still loaded and went off ! Thank god it was pointed towards the ground.he used 777 pellets.

These types of story's are frustrating to me because this could have been a tragedy that would also make gun owners look irresponsible.

This is gun control fuel!

A witness mark on the ram rod would have prevented this.

These types of story's are frustrating to me because this could have been a tragedy that would also make gun owners look irresponsible.

This is gun control fuel!

A witness mark on the ram rod would have prevented this.
It should never be a tragedy because the gun is always supposed to be pointed in a safe direction. Which it was.

It should never be a tragedy because the gun is always supposed to be pointed in a safe direction. Which it was.
Each and EVERY time you are preparing to test your CVA BP rifle by firing off a primer you first look through the BP at the sky and IF YOU DON'T see light find out why, period.
Your ramrod should have witness marks/tape/paint etc. to indicate BOTH loaded and unloaded. Note ramrods for Accura V2 & MR are almost identical BUT they are slightly different lengths. Ask me how I know.
kygWFcyh.jpg

I have it loaded for the hunting season.I have had it loaded for 4 to 5 weeks and never had a problem with it going bang when I was ready to pull the trigger.I bring it in the house and I have a piece of tape over the muzzle.I have used both pellets and loose 777.You could add a SPENT primer or SPENT cap to help keep moisture out of the powder charge.

I know guys that have left their flintlocks loaded for a year and fired them off with no problem.
I leave mine loaded all season unless I suspect moisture like hunting in the rain or wet snow. In the late season after Christmas I don't even bring it in the house but keep it in my vehicle to prevent moisture from condensation.

Seems to me that a seated bullet, regardless of type, should isolate the charge from moist air pretty well. When hunting in rain or snow, I like to tape the end of the muzzle to keep snow and liquid water out. Traditions also sells what are basically condoms, for the same purpose. Only other avenue for moisture to get to the powder is through the flash channel. When hunting, the flash hole is pretty well sealed by a cap or a 209 primer. For caps, Traditions sells rubber tubing of just the right size that can be used to seal the cap on the nipple. Those make the moisture barrier even more secure. With my sidelock uncapped, I like to put a piece of soft rubber over the nipple and lower the hammer onto the nipple to hold it in place and thereby provide a good seal. A piece of a wide rubber band works well. Using the Traditions stuff mentioned above and a rubber band when my Renegade is uncapped, I've kept the same powder and bullet in my Renegade for well over a month of hunting in cold, snowy conditions, with the rifle brought inside at night, with no problems.

I pushed the load from the Patriot this morning as I don't think I'll buy into the muzzy season. I have enough venison to do my sausage now and really don't want another to deal with. Having a loaded gun in the house just goes against what I believe in even though I know the gun wasn't primed. And all that having the rod witness marked. Plus I like the guns to be cleaned regardless if it was only shot with smokeless. I was taught many years ago that when the hunting is done for the season, the guns get cleaned, so......

I’ll leave mine loaded for a couple of weeks without issue. I normally load before I leave my house and it stays in the truck once it hits the cold weather. I don’t want any condensation to build up going from cold to warm. I will shoot it after my last hunt, if I haven’t shot a deer.

I'll leave my Accura loaded if it hasn't been fired. I also bring it in the house and haven't had any problems. Me and my son went out Sunday afternoon and did some shooting, when we got home I pulled the breech plug and ran a few patches through the barrel and wiped the plug off but I didn't thoroughly clean the plug. I loaded the Accura Monday morning before going out in the woods and I'll leave it loaded until Sunday evening. I'll thoroughly clean it one one day next week. I'm shooting Blackhorn powder.

I'll leave my Accura loaded if it hasn't been fired. I also bring it in the house and haven't had any problems. Me and my son went out Sunday afternoon and did some shooting, when we got home I pulled the breech plug and ran a few patches through the barrel and wiped the plug off but I didn't thoroughly clean the plug. I loaded the Accura Monday morning before going out in the woods and I'll leave it loaded until Sunday evening. I'll thoroughly clean it one one day next week. I'm shooting Blackhorn powder.

Same here, Blackhorn 209, loaded and ready for the week. Never any issues with any of my ML’s. If you keep your barrels and BP clean, once you load it, with a little precaution like keeping it in the truck( weather ready), it will shoot just fine. If you have any worries at all it only takes a couple minutes to pull the breech and unload, swab and reload. Good luck to all this season and happy Holidays!

I leave mine loaded all season unless I’m out in heavy rain. I also bring it inside at night.
I know guys that have left their flintlocks loaded for a year and fired them off with no problem.
I leave mine loaded all season unless I suspect moisture like hunting in the rain or wet snow. In the late season after Christmas I don't even bring it in the house but keep it in my vehicle to prevent moisture from condensation.
Both of these. All season, just keep it dry. Inline with T7 or traditional with black. Just keep it dry. Did I mention to keep it dry? I hunt with guys that shoot every night. That gives them more hours in the garage hiding from their wives I guess.

At the moment I am using black horn 209 powder so I leave it loaded even if I shoot it, for the entire season. Our season is 9 days. If the gun gets wet I do unload and dry it out.

Don't understand how this happens. Throw in a corner and forget it? Like throwing 300 to 400 bucks in the corner and forgetting it!

Latest posts

Back