How Long

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snuffy

Reaction score
How long should I leave my ml-10-II loaded. I'll be hunting in Tennessee tomorrow for 1 day only. The Muzz season in Alabama opens the following week Nov 14. Should I go ahead and shoot the ml-10 or can I leave it loaded till the Alabama season??? :?:

Arkansas muzzleloading seasons are approx 1 1/2 months appart and I leave mine loaded till the last day of the last season or till the fat lady sings, which ever come first. :D

Snuffy,

Hope you dont have to leave loaded & onload on a deer tomorrow!

If you avoid taking gun in & out of cold (potential condensation problem) plus & do not extreme wet conditions that may adversely effect load....i have keep loads in for over a week & no problem.

Sometimes just for peace of mind I may discharge at end of hunt & reload fresh for next. With all the time & money we put into preparing for huntin season a minute cost for sure! :lol:

Best of luck!

snuffy said:
How long should I leave my ml-10-II loaded. I'll be hunting in Tennessee tomorrow for 1 day only. The Muzz season in Alabama opens the following week Nov 14. Should I go ahead and shoot the ml-10 or can I leave it loaded till the Alabama season??? :?:

So far I leave mine loaded for a couple of days and shoot it out and reload if necessary. That's just ME! Saying THAT I don't see why the load wouldn't be fine for quite a while and if DW says he hasn't had any problems with longer periods, I believe him. In HIS case, I HOPE the fat lady sings WAY before that! :lol:

big6x6 said:
snuffy said:

So far I leave mine loaded for a couple of days and shoot it out and reload if necessary. That's just ME! Saying THAT I don't see why the load wouldn't be fine for quite a while and if DW says he hasn't had any problems with longer periods, I believe him. I HIS case, I HOPE the fat lady sings WAY before that! :lol:

She's already sang once, I need her to do it again though. :lol:

snuffy said:
How long should I leave my ml-10-II loaded.

That's what's nice about Smokeless Powder. No corrosion and hurry up clean up. I wouldnt hesitate to fire off every evening if you want. It will hurt or change nothing. If your comfortable leaving it loaded. Leave it loaded and de-primed. :)

I left mine loaded(deprimed) for over a week in a cold cabin and when shot after season I had no problems.

That was a problem for me last year..... left my gone loded a few times for a few days..... then... click!!!! I was using 5744, but i realized the problem was condensation. I dont have a garage to leave my gun "outside" where it will stay consistantly at the same temperature. I was afraid to leave it locked in my truck for fear of it getting stolen. So after i hunt i would take it into the basement, it was cooler down there but still not enuff. This season i will just remove the bolt and unload it that way. Dont really want to shoot it outside after every hunt and tip the deer off any more!!! :shock:

Amen MCee67! If we could always keep our loaded MLers in consistent temps & perfect conditions etc. obviously they could remain loaded for very long periods of time with no problem. I for one want the very best ignition & optimum load performance from totally dry powder if at all possible. If it means unloading each night so be it. What's a few minutes and cents anyway. :lol:

I know when I'm flintlocking I constantly dump my powder pan whenever I feel humidity or moisture may have tainted...even if it looks perfectly dry.

Such practice may have cost be 2-3 dollars over the years in waisted 4fg priming powder but hey...whoever said that this is an inexpensive sport anyway! :lol:

snuffy said:

"When in doubt, shoot it out." There is just no benefit to leaving it loaded. Any deer worth taking deserves a fresh powder charge and sabot.

Go ahead and bang it out. No need to take a chance on a possible misfire, hangfire, or an accidental double load. No need to clean it, unless you want to or need to, just store it until you are ready to hunt next week, then load a fresh one and go hunting.

My hunting days are usually a week apart. I usually fire mine at the end of the day and dry swab. I bring it in from the cold andstore my rifle in the house and don't want to risk condensation and a misfire. I should add that when I fire it off it's usually the second time I've fired it that day :)

Latest posts

Back