How low can you go?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VLP.204

Reaction score
What is the lowest charge of N120 you can you use with 300 gr. bullets? Is 50gr. too low or can you go even lower?

VLP.204 said:
What is the lowest charge of N120 you can you use with 300 gr. bullets? Is 50gr. too low or can you go even lower?

I don't think you have a min. charge just a max.

Though its obvious this opinion isn't shared by all, I believe that when pressure gets comparatively low that temp sensitivity increases significantly. I'd go to a faster powder if I wanted to reduce velocity such as 40 or less of VV-110 instead of a somewhat larger amt of VV-120.

I dont know if there is a low point with VV n120 and 300 grainers but I think there might be a point where it does not work so well, however I guess the question here is,what are you trying to accomplish?

I think Rifleman asked the appropriate question: Exactly what are you trying to do. Paper shooting, deer at what range, low recoil? The answers could be different. Pleas advice and I am sure there are people on this site that have good answers. This is not trying to cause trouble but only to find out what your goal is.

You'll have to PM him for the answer. He's not got access yet since it requires 25 posts to access this forum.

I shot a low load today. 360g PRs, Savage, 22g 5744 gave the desired 1050'/sec (subsonic) and gave virtually no recoil, consistent 2" vertical groups @ 100yds. I wanted a very quiet load and got it. The 100yd energy is only a little over 800'#s but the Taylor Knockout for whitetails is reported "Excellent" thru 300yds with this load and "good" thru 800yds(I don't understand that one either).I got poorer results with VV-110 in the 1050 range - larger velocity variations, and groups. I didn't have faster powders to try for my ML 50 "Whisper" other than 2400 and I just didn't want to dirty up my gun.

So Steve what did you do buy a Gemtech suppresor for your Savage? Sounds like you are going tactical on us, very interesting concept, a muzzleloading sentry removal weapon. :shock:

Rifleman said:
So Steve what did you do buy a Gemtech suppresor for your Savage? Sounds like you are going tactical on us, very interesting concept, a muzzleloading sentry removal weapon. :shock:
My back yard has 92 acres and gets to within 200yds of the closest house of a sub-division that is near my land. To hunt certain parts of my land I need a very quiet gun. Though sub-sonic and has minimal muzzle blast, it still isn't as quiet as I hoped but has acceptable accuracy and killing power. The 10ML-2 that I shot this in is sighted- in at 1" hi @ 100yd with VV-110 42gs, 2335'/sec, 250SST. The 360 PRs impact 3-4" hi @ 1050'/sec. Not exactly what I expected.

Latest posts

Back