How many Hunt with their Ramrods in place?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess that shows how little you know about long range hunting/shooting or competitive shooting.

How many ramrods are in these rifles?

Inline Hunters Match May 2020 | Precision Muzzle Loading at the NMLRA - YouTube

Great Shots are Made at Great Distances | Long Range Muzzle Loading | NMLRA - YouTube

July 2020 APEX HUNTER Long Range Precision Muzzle Loading Rifle Match | NMLRA - YouTube

I believe all those shooters in those videos know how to shoot a gun and its not in their heads.

Its not going to make any significant difference for the hunter that's only taking shots a game from 25yds to 200yds but, beyond that it can certainly make a difference.
Just shows how little you know about shooting in general.

Many things can be left off of guns for convenience not because of accuracy. Lots of folks have left RR out because of noise, tightness, and losing them while shooting and hunting.

You are confusing convenience with accuracy.

Just shows how little you know about shooting in general.

Many things can be left off of guns for convenience not because of accuracy. Lots of folks have left RR out because of noise, tightness, and losing them while shooting and hunting.

You are confusing convenience with accuracy.
No, I'm not the one confused. But you're probably correct, I know little about shooting in general. :wall:
I never confuse accuracy with anything. As I said prior, if you're shooting 25yds to 150yds, it won't matter. However, in long range it can and will. Evidently you're not a long range shooter and know little about it in general.

I always have mine in my rifles. I do have a Knight range rod that I use also on the bench when practicing. However for hunting I am always wearing a ramrod. Most of my rifles shoot very well out to the distances I shoot (under 200) even with the rod in. I can't see it would make any difference.

I'm sure for real long range, losing the rod is one less variable to contend with but I'd honestly feel naked without it.

With my MK 85 always hunted with it in place. Set up an Encore Arrowhead Brux last year and use a range rod with it and a folding ramrod in the field.

No, I'm not the one confused. But you're probably correct, I know little about shooting in general. :wall:
I never confuse accuracy with anything. As I said prior, if you're shooting 25yds to 150yds, it won't matter. However, in long range it can and will. Evidently you're not a long range shooter and know little about it in general.
Those same guns you pointed out dont have iron sights, because iron sights make these high dollar guns less accurate. Just like they left the ram rod off, because it makes it less accurate.

Accuracy has nothing to do with where that ran rod is. Leave it in or leave it out. Dont matter.

If you want to bring in special guns with floating barrels that have nothing to do with whether a ramrod is installed under the barrel or not. Do it in another thread.

This entire thread is about guns that come with a ram rod and it's attachment. As well as whether that ram rod is under the barrel or not.
:wall:

Last edited:
Those same guns you pointed out dont have iron sights, because iron sights make these high dollar guns less accurate. Just like they left the ram rod off, because it makes it less accurate.

Accuracy has nothing to do with where that ran rod is. Leave it in or leave it out. Dont matter.

If you want to bring in special guns with floating barrels that have nothing to do with whether a ramrod is installed under the barrel or not. Do it in another thread.

This entire thread is about guns that come with a ram rod and it's attachment. As well as whether that ram rod is under the barrel or not.

I'm not talking about only "special guns with floating barrels". That's an assumption on your part. Take the Encore platform, which I've shot many thousands of rounds through and at ranges much further than 150yds. Many of those I've had in the past have had IRON SIGHTS that were never removed. So what I am talking about is exactly what's being discussed in THIS THREAD. There's no need for an additional thread. Ramrods in or out. Again I'll say it, its not going to matter if you're shooting 25yds to 150yds.
Again I'll point out that your experience with long range shooting and accuracy, in general, is lacking. You're not going to shoot 5 shot groups you can cover with your thumb at 200yds with the ramrod installed in the thimbles.

I'm not talking about only "special guns with floating barrels". That's an assumption on your part. Take the Encore platform, which I've shot many thousands of rounds through and at ranges much further than 150yds. Many of those I've had in the past have had IRON SIGHTS that were never removed. So what I am talking about is exactly what's being discussed in THIS THREAD. There's no need for an additional thread. Ramrods in or out. Again I'll say it, its not going to matter if you're shooting 25yds to 150yds.
Again I'll point out that your experience with long range shooting and accuracy, in general, is lacking. You're not going to shoot 5 shot groups you can cover with your thumb at 200yds with the ramrod installed in the thimbles.
Assumption on my part, yet you show guns that do not have ram rod attachments built onto them?

Naw.. I don't believe you one bit.
That ran rod doesn't make one bit of difference in accuracy.
With our without it.
Bragging about how much you have shot doesn't impress me one bit. I also have had decades of shooting. Big deal. That ram rod. In or out does not affect accuracy. It is a matter of how a person likes to shoot as well as how a person likes to deal with reloading and dealing with a rod and field rod.

Assumption on my part, yet you show guns that do not have ram rod attachments built onto them?

Naw.. I don't believe you one bit.
That ran rod doesn't make one bit of difference in accuracy.
With our without it.
Bragging about how much you have shot doesn't impress me one bit. I also have had decades of shooting. Big deal. That ram rod. In or out does not affect accuracy. It is a matter of how a person likes to shoot as well as how a person likes to deal with reloading and dealing with a rod and field rod.
I'd suggest that if you want to see rifles with ram rod attachments, you look back through some of the older posts. EVERY rifle I've had and its been a lot, has had ram rod attachments. Every rifle. Most all of those rifles not only had the ramrod thimbles, but also the open sights.

Believe me, in no way am I attempting or trying to impress you in any way.

So it appears we have a complete disagreement on rather a ram rod in the rifle may or may not affect accuracy. My opinion is and will remain, yes it sure as heck can. Its call barrel harmonics. Research that and educate yourself. As I've mentioned numerous times, if you're only shooting 25 to 150yds, likely it won't matter. Beyond that, it certainly can. That's the deal...............

Back