How many rounds did you fire from rifles last year ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
I usually fire a couple thousand at least in a year, very few from a muzzleloader. Airguns count, shotguns and pistols do not for this one.

Far less than I would like, probably less than 200 rounds. When I retire I hope to shoot more. I plan to move to where I have a 100 and 150 yard range and bench constructed.

Not near enough, 1,000 to 1,500 I believe. When I used to shoot .22lr competitevly, it used to be 500 a week.

3 or 4 hundred I guess. Not a whole lot compared to some of you but more than most hunters.

June 26 is my first anniversary with Savage ML-II and I'm closing in fast on 400 rounds. Shooting is pretty handy with the range only about a mile away. All my other shooting is with shot at skeet and sporting clays - 700-800 rounds.

BR's Cob

I've never kept count before. alot in 17hmr. & .22

Probably around 1,000 rounds. Prety well all were from one of my 10ML's, or one of my 10-22's. In fact I would say that only about a dozzen were from anything other than one of those.

Okay guys thanks for the good response. Now here is the point. I watched JJ Doohan shoot last week. We have all seen some of his bench targets, which are very good, especially the last one he posted. He shoots a great deal. He also told me he is fairly new into shooting. But he does rather well. Actually he does better then he thinks. Probably most of you do. I have seen all manner of skill level of shooters from the best to the worst. I will say this, most of you who have enough interest to shoot alot and continue to be a student are probably better shooters then what you think. I know JJ is. He had never fired more then 300 yards before, but in short order he was hitting at 600 yds . So what is the missing piece of the puzzle? Simple, training and equipment. It takes basically three things to shoot well. Proper equipment, proper training, and proper motivation. I did not list talent. Talent is not neccessary to shoot well above the average. Equipment is important, but certain equipment deficiencies can be overcome/ case in point. I found JJ's rifle to be a fine bench gun, but very difficult to shoot offhand. I have no doubt with work I could learn to shoot it offhand. However I was unsuccesful that day. But could I ? Of course, if so motivated and if I trained myself. Proper training is important of course, but who says it has to be from a school or instructor? Can't we read? Can't we mimic what we see in pictures? Of course we can! It is nice to have a coach, but like I told JJ the main thing I try to teach a shooter is to become a coach, not a shooter. So you can learn to coach yourself while coaching others.
Proper motivation, well you have it or you don't. You can be motiviated but anyone who is shooting a 1000 rds or more a year sounds motivated to me. Understand what I am saying, I have not claimed since my USMC enlistment to be a talented shooter. I saw the truly talented and I am not one of them. However I was very motivated, trained hard, and used the best equipment I could get hold of, and was successful as a coach, an instructor, and as a competitive shooter. You can be too! If you have the bench down, well try some position shooting. If you have close fast shooting down, try some distance. If you are tough on long range, well do some close work. Check your equipment, is it lacking?, well figure out how to upgrade. Wondering what you can do better?, well, read a book, an article or ask questions.
Now lets get shopping for more ammo, what do you say? ! :D

Very nicely stated Rifleman. Good practice and good equipment makes a good shooter. Laker

I need to get either a .22 or a good air rifle. The air rifle would probably be better because it would be more convienant to shoot.

Good Idea Patrick, which is funny you mentioned that as I was just getting ready to start a new thread.

Latest posts

Back