Hubbard's Huntsman/Sidekick Carrierless 209 Breech Plug PICS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
My Breech plug arrived in the mail Friday the 27th. Ben did a great job making this plug, the tollerances are right on the money. The shoulder on the plug is made to fit flush with the breech end of the barrel and locks up tight to the standing breech. Perfect fit! You just use the standard NEF POS breech plug wrench to install the plug. The 209 primer holder is a 3/8" hex and used 1/4"-28 threads. I use a 3/8" White breech plug wrench for the holder, any 3/8" socket will also work. The primer fits a little loose in the holder, I'm sure that is for removal of spent primers, as the primer is headspaced at the rim, rather than the front. This is the only feature I am not 100% on board with yet, but the proof will be in the shooting. I popped a cap as is and got a bit of soot back on the standing breech. I installed a .012" shim/washer between the primer holder and the plug to tighten the headspace at the rim up and got rid of almost all of the primer fouling on the standing breech. A very small o-ring inside the primer holder just might tighten up the headspace at the front of the primer pocket. I will do some experimenting with that at a later date.

The primer holder has a .035" flash hole. The breech plug also has a flash hole beyond the primer holder, I'm guessing in the .045" to .050" range. I will measure that later and let you know what I come up with. The plug is installed and ready to shoot sometime this weekend. Our power went out for about 3 hours last evening as a T-Storm was blowing through. It is getting very late, and way past my bedtime, so I'll just post a few pics for now and add to this post later this weekend. Photobucket has been giving me fits uploading lately, so I'll post a few pics I was able to get uploaded. More later.

Can't wait to shoot it. Maybe now the Huntsman will be able to shoot Blackhorn 209 with 100% instant ignition. I'll keep ya posted.

031.jpg

012-4.jpg

009-5.jpg

016-2.jpg

018-2.jpg

020-5.jpg

021-2.jpg

024-2.jpg

022-3.jpg

Sorry guys, but I just got off the phone with Ben, he will not be making any more Huntsman/Sidekick plugs. They are just to cost prohibitive to make by hand, and the tolerances from one NEF breech to the next are just too great. The way he makes these plugs, they come all the way back to the breech end of the barrel and fit flush.

A lot of work goes into making up one of these plugs. I just couldn't understand how he could do it without having to charge an arm and a leg. I'm sorry I got everybody excited, I really thought we were on to something here. :-[

Back to the drawing board! :'(

We need to find someone with a CNC that could make one just like the T/C plug.

Latest posts

Back