Hunters on the East Coast

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sight my rifles in at 100 yards, I’ve never shot that far at a deer, not even with a CF rifle. I’m not saying I wouldn’t, just that I haven’t. Last year I killed 3 deer, one at 75, one at 50 and one at 15 yards. The average is probably around 50 yards.

75yds is a long shot and i've only taken one at that range. 30-50yds is average. Back east or out west doesn't matter. Range is always the same.

btw...I never hunt from a stand. I'd fall asleep. :)

My furthest shot was about 140 yds with a ML. That was only because the doe was on the opposite side of the cornfield.
My normal range is under 75 yards with 50 yards being the average. I always sight my ML at 75 yards and let the deer worry about me being 1” high or low depending on where they are.

Typically I hunt woods, and most shots are less than 100... and most probably under 75yds. I do have some opportunities for longer shots on fields, but I tend to hunt thicker areas more than in the open areas. Last years buck was about 60yds. Longest ever with a ML was about 125, and I would consider a typical longer shot for me to be about 100yds.

Typically I hunt woods, and most shots are less than 100... and most probably under 75yds. I do have some opportunities for longer shots on fields, but I tend to hunt thicker areas more than in the open areas. Last years buck was about 60yds. Longest ever with a ML was about 125, and I would consider a typical longer shot for me to be about 100yds.
Same here. Longest shot ever was with the Remington .30-06 at 160 yds couple of times.

Longest shot: a doe at 200 with a .30-30.
Longest muzzleloader: 150 on a doe.
The others are between 4 yards and 80. 50 would be a good average.
Still zero for 100 though... My max range is when an off body hold is necessary. Zeroed at 100, a 250 grain 45 XTP at 1575 fps is down 8 at 150 and 24 at 200. Tested. I'm comfy to 150.

Longest shot: a doe at 200 with a .30-30.
Longest muzzleloader: 150 on a doe.
The others are between 4 yards and 80. 50 would be a good average.
Still zero for 100 though... My max range is when an off body hold is necessary. Zeroed at 100, a 250 grain 45 XTP at 1575 fps is down 8 at 150 and 24 at 200. Tested. I'm comfy to 150.
Never had an opportunity to reach past 100 with my 30-30. Ya always here folks saying its only a 150yd gun.

Usually 80 yards or less in the mountains. Farms you can get a longer shot . My longest shot was 179 yards on a farm and I was using a 30/30, hornady ammo . Longest with a bow was 50 .

My longest shot was about 105 yards with a Ruger 44 mag Redhawk. Average shot probable (not counting bow) 40 yards.
My bow shot longest 50 yards, average 15 yards.

Here in the woods of northern New England, the firearm shots I've taken at deer average about 30 yards. The longest has been about 60-70 yards. Not easy to get a clear shot at longer distances in these parts.

Here in Virginia,it can really varey, in the swamps your lucky to get a 50 yard shot,most are 30 and under, middle of the state farm land you could see 300 to 400 yards on the bigger farms Western part mountains, I've seen 200 to 300 , for BP I've never taken a shot pass 80 to a100 yards, CF I will go to 200 yards

Thank you for all the replies that is just about what I have seen here in MD over the last 35 years of hunting.

I hunt in southeastern Ohio. In the past ten yrs the shots have been 15yds to 40yds. Sight my ML in at 50yds and that works.

Latest posts

Back