Huntsman Plug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bcoulter said:
I called MU last Wednesday, put a check in the mail the same day. The Breech plug showed up today with 3 o rings, fast turnaround IMO. I guess the o ring goes under the primer, seems like it would get fried. 60B58955-C7B7-45ED-B1DF-9E384D49735C.jpeg849DF142-2053-4E5D-BA94-516428F8CBF8.jpeg610BCF99-10D1-4B3D-8C80-FADA912DD7C8.jpeg

The o-rings can last up to 60-70 shots shooting Blackhorn 209. The center will start to wash out, but it will keep on sealing. Nick was using Triple Se7en powder and getting 70 shots or so. I generally replace them after each range session at approximately 40 shots, and always use a new one while hunting. This is a much cheaper alternative than the leaky orange primer carriers, and it actually seals. Another benefit of the o-ring is it absolutely seals out rain and melting snow from entering your powder charge from the primer end, as long as the breech is locked up.

I just heard within the last month that Remington/H&R/NEF has discontinued making the original Orange plastic primer carriers. I knew that day would come eventually, so the demand for these types of carrierless 209 breech plugs should go up as those supplies dry up.

I did a bunch of Blackhorn 209 testing through several different rifles and breech plug designs back in 2008 and 2009. This is one of the plugs I tested in early 2009. I made a bunch of reports back then, but Scumbucket severed all the links to my pictures.

Here is a link to one of the threads. You might find something useful in the text? Like I said, the pics are not there. You can use any 209 primer you wish to use in this plug with the o-ring installed. Triple Se7en loose powder is much easier to ignite than Blackhorn 209.

viewtopic.php?t=11904

Good luck with your new breech plug, and on your elk hunt next year.

This thread has a lot more information in it, as that is where the H&R/NEF guys hang out.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/113-huntsm ... table.html

Just picked up a SS huntsman. ordered breechplug from metrics today $40.00 shipped. does anyone know where i can get a ramrod
replacement to shoot the pointed bullets. tried hubbards no luck. if someone could custom make one i would be glad to pay for it.
Thanks for any help.

va.mtnhunter said:
Just picked up a SS huntsman. ordered breechplug from metrics today $40.00 shipped. does anyone know where i can get a ramrod
replacement to shoot the pointed bullets. tried hubbards no luck. if someone could custom make one i would be glad to pay for it.
Thanks for any help.
Might try here.
https://www.spinjag.com/index.php

Busta I had Cecil make me a custom one with Ventliner out of his plug and it shoots beautiful groups with BH209, 777 pellets and whatever else tried this winter down to 1 degree F (not counting wind chill). Funny part is I built this shorty for my kid and he ended up using another "shorty" H&R "conversion I built to take a deer with .357 140 FTX and MMP .45/357 sabot. Low recoil and solid 1" groups...Who would've guessed that those would shoot best????
(To be honest, I had the sabots (and bullets) laying around and knew the "flat based" .357 bullets were a problem with them so I had a hunch to try them, and sure enough...Got even better when I started using wool wads underneath sabot...) just some trivial info...

I may sell the barrel and plug setup if somebody has a youngster interested in MZ's

cljohnson24 said:
Busta I had Cecil make me a custom one with Ventliner out of his plug and it shoots beautiful groups with BH209, 777 pellets and whatever else tried this winter down to 1 degree F (not counting wind chill). Funny part is I built this shorty for my kid and he ended up using another "shorty" H&R "conversion I built to take a deer with .357 140 FTX and MMP .45/357 sabot. Low recoil and solid 1" groups...Who would've guessed that those would shoot best????
(To be honest, I had the sabots (and bullets) laying around and knew the "flat based" .357 bullets were a problem with them so I had a hunch to try them, and sure enough...Got even better when I started using wool wads underneath sabot...) just some trivial info...

I may sell the barrel and plug setup if somebody has a youngster interested in MZ's

Sounds good. These Huntsmans and Sidekicks will shoot as good as any rifle out there. They just never had a chance with that orange primer carrier.

Glad to hear Cecil took care of you with a vent liner upgrade. I bet he'd sell a lot of them If he made it an option.

I've got more breech plugs than any sane person should have, if that tells you anything? :?

I’m sure you’ve helped with your share of testing them as well and guys in this board as well as a few others benefit from those efforts:)

cljohnson24 said:
I’m sure you’ve helped with your share of testing them as well and guys in this board as well as a few others benefit from those efforts:)

Ditto! Finally got all the bits and pieces for my huntsman but still haven’t shot it. Hopefully soon!

Hey Busta,

We're any of the H&R rifles 45cal or all 50cal?

Just received my metrics breechplug today looks great now just got to figure out ramrod.
what powder and bullets are you'l shooting.

ShawnT said:
Hey Busta,

We're any of the H&R rifles 45cal or all 50cal?

Contrary to popular belief, the first production inline rifles were H&R Huntsmans, from 1972-1979ish. They were .45 caliber, .58 caliber, and 12ga. These were slow twist rifles 1:56 & 1:66. They used both push in breech plugs and screw in #11 breech plugs. Ben Hubbard made a Mag Spark 209 conversion that was basically a screw in 209 primer adapter that screwed into the breech plug in place of the #11 nipple. They have a large diameter flat faced firing pin for #11 caps that would still ignite 209 primers.

The .50 caliber NEF Huntsmans started in 2002, .50 caliber NEF Sidekicks started in 2004, all 1:28 twist barrels. The early ones are reported to have been Green Mountain barrels, and mine all measure .502" and slug out identical to my Knight .502" bores. My 2003 Huntsman owners manual actually had loads for both the .50 caliber 1:28 and a .45 caliber with a 1:20 twist. Unfortunately they never produced production .45 cal 1:20 twist. The Huntsman rifles were discontinued in 2006ish, and were only available as barrels through the Barrel Program after that, fitted to a receiver that you would send in. In 2008 after Remington had control of Marlin, H&R/NEF, they discontinued the Sidekick, and were actually H&R Sidekicks instead of the NEF Sidekick that were produced from 2004-2007.

I have a 2003 NEF Huntsman, 2004 NEF Sidekick, and a 2008 H&R Sidekick. All .50 (502") calibers, and all Stainless Steel versions.

Since H&R/NEF never made the. 45 caliber 1:20 twist Huntsman, I had my own made. I bought a Stainless Steel .45-70 H&R Ultra barrel with a 1:20 twist and fitted it to my Huntsman receiver. Then sent the barrel off to Slufoot to have a Savage breech plug installed. It's stainless with cinnamon laminate stock and forend, Knight ramrod ferrule, custom made collapsible T-Handle Power Rod.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_0316.jpg
    100_0316.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 81
I’m a sucker for laminate stocks, very nice as always

Thanks for the info Busta. I have seen the 58cal but never knew about the 45. I remember you getting a 45-70 conversion done, that is one fine looking rifle too.

Thanks, and you're welcome.

I forgot to add that sbuff also has another rifle that NEF produced exclusively for Cabelas from 2004-2006ish. It is called the NEF Heritage. It was essentially a .50 cal Stainless Steel NEF Sidekick, but with camo synthetic stocks instead of black synthetic stocks. IIRC, they donated $20 to the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation for every rifle sold.

Back