Huzzah! It wasnt me!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My flintlock Renegade .54 now wears a TC aperture sight.
Took her to the range today, to confirm zero after cowitnessing with the opens. Didn't need to touch a thing.
Did have a couple derp shots... but my 3 rounders at 50 were all a ( very) consistent 1& 3/16ths!
The aperture contributed in an unexpected way. The open sights are beyond the lock, so the flash is quite distracting. I know that its not possible to out flinch a properly working flintlock. The flinch has already started before the sears trip.
The aperture is behind the lock, so my visual focus is stronger there.
In any event, group size and group overlap are excellent.
Guess I can shoot a flintlock after all...

My flintlock Renegade .54 now wears a TC aperture sight.
Took her to the range today, to confirm zero after cowitnessing with the opens. Didn't need to touch a thing.
Did have a couple derp shots... but my 3 rounders at 50 were all a ( very) consistent 1& 3/16ths!
The aperture contributed in an unexpected way. The open sights are beyond the lock, so the flash is quite distracting. I know that its not possible to out flinch a properly working flintlock. The flinch has already started before the sears trip.
The aperture is behind the lock, so my visual focus is stronger there.
In any event, group size and group overlap are excellent.
Guess I can shoot a flintlock after all...
I have always found that it helps to concentrate on the front sight, and if the trigger pull is a good one, then you can use conventional shooting techniques to work on NOT KNOWING exactly when the sear is going to be tripped. That way your brain CAN NOT FOCUS on the flint striking the frizzen, and the resultant flash in the pan as the powder ignites.

It's that flash that tells the brain to trigger the flinch. If you don't know when the flash is going to occur, then flinching is generally reduced.

Try concentrating heavily on the front sight, you take your focus AWAY FROM THE LOCK.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back