I almost vomited when the package came in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
A while back I ordered a riflescope from SWFA aka Riflescopes.com

I was waiting with great anticipation at the arrival of a nice new Burris Fullfield II 2-7 X rifle scope to be mounted on my 30-06 for deer hunting.

I was like a child when I saw the magical white box on my doorstep. I went over and cradled the package like a newborn. I opened the box ever so carefully and saw the nice packaging wrapped in plastic.

I looked at the end of the box and saw the specification and just about had an accident in my pants.

MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES

This is completely unacceptable. I bought this scope with the prior knowledge of Burris being 100% USA made. This was a shock. I called SWFA up and spoke about a return. I told them exactly why I was returning the scope. I also inquired if Burris makes any scopes in the USA. The lady got back to me and stated that all of Burris' scopes are USA made except for the Fullfield and the Tactical scopes.

So I am returning the scope and will get the short mag scope which is supposed to be made in the USA . I will wait for the email from Burris concerning this matter for clarification.

What a big disappointment with them.

What!!!??? When did that happen? My Burris FFII is made in the USA. :? I double checked when I saw this. It's 4 years old though so they must have made a change since I got mine. That is a dissapointment, it's the best scope I have and I had planned to buy another next year. :(

Bigbore,
I went through this EXACT same scenario just a couple months ago with Natchez Shooters Supply. I ordered a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm w/ Ballistic Plex to put on a predator calling rifle. Like you, much to my surprise when I pulled the scope out to look it over, there was a sticker on the bottom of the scope that said "Made In The Phillipines". That scope went right back in the box and with a quick call to Natchez to explain the return, it was on it's way back! :evil: I was always under the assumption that ALL Burris scopes were made in Colorado. :? I later found out the same thing you did that some are made overseas now. I ended up doing what I should have done in the first place by buying a VX-III Leupold instead! I've never owned a Burris scope and it looks like I probably won't after that little incident! :shock:

I talked to Burris and they stated that all their models except for the Fullfield and tactical are made in Colorado.So I will be ordering a short mag 2-7 power for the 30-06.

tha nikon prostaff are all made in phillipines. they are pretty decent pieces of glass. however . . . they also only cost about $100 :)

I have had a Tasco scope fail on me a couple days before the deer season. Thankfully I had another rifle with a good Redfield US made scope on it. I shot two deer and helped fill the freezer for the year.

Never again will I trust anything of less quality. It will fail you when you really need it.

That cheap scope is off the gun and the Burris is on its way as a replacement. At least this coming season I wont have to worry about the scope dying on me.

bigbore442001 said:
I talked to Burris and they stated that all their models except for the Fullfield and tactical are made in Colorado.So I will be ordering a short mag 2-7 power for the 30-06.

Just be sure you have enough ring mounting space between the w/e turret and the objective. I have several Burris A/R scopes built along the same line and there is really VERY little room to mount the front ring. This scope is still a carryover of Burris's "turret-foward" concept.

As for scopes "Made in the Phillipines"....I really don't have a problem with that at all...some really good optics are now coming out of the Phillipines...Nikon Monarch, Swift, I just GOT a Burris FF-II 3-9X40..I can't find the country of orgin anywhere on it OR the box! :?: I then immediately looked at the Leupolds I have gotten in lately...of course nothing to worry about there :D :

2006rangepics%20259.jpg

big6x6 said:
bigbore442001 said:

Just be sure you have enough ring mounting space between the w/e turret and the objective. I have several Burris A/R scopes built along the same line and there is really VERY little room to mount the front ring. This scope is still a carryover of Burris's "turret-foward" concept.

As for scopes "Made in the Phillipines"....I really don't have a problem with that at all...some really good optics are now coming out of the Phillipines...Nikon Monarch, Swift, I just GOT a Burris FF-II 3-9X40..I can't find the country of orgin anywhere on it OR the box! :?: I then immediately looked at the Leupolds I have gotten in lately...of course nothing to worry about there :D :

2006rangepics%20259.jpg

Of course! :yeah:

Sorry to hear the news. I suppose it would be a given that a sub $300 scope would not be made in the USA..

I'm not sure how else these companies could price compete without outsourcing "cheap" labor?? Import taxes are surely cheaper than workmans compensation and benefits!!!

:huh?:

I am GLAD to see you guys actually BUYING AMERICAN!!! So many people just complain about the cheap imports but do nothing about it. It is refeshing to see some of you walking the walk! Kudos to you all! :yeah:

Doohan said:
Sorry to hear the news. I suppose it would be a given that a sub $300 scope would not be made in the USA..

I'm not sure how else these companies could price compete without outsourcing "cheap" labor?? Import taxes are surely cheaper than workmans compensation and benefits!!!
There are several that are made in the USA. I've got 2 examples here, but there are more. I'd always been under the impression that all Burris Scopes were made in the USA. Hence my surprise since the two that I have here are (FFII, handgun).

I am GLAD to see you guys actually BUYING AMERICAN!!! So many people just complain about the cheap imports but do nothing about it. It is refeshing to see some of you walking the walk! Kudos to you all! :yeah:

I don't always but I am trying. :lol: My 3200 was made in Japan and my Millett was made in China. The Millett is also the worst scope I own. I'm actually thinking about a Leupold the next time I buy a scope (next year at the earliest). I need a scope for my Omega since I have no confidence in the Millett for anything but a .22.

I don't know where my Burris was made. I don't think I've still got the box, so I can't really check.

Either way, it's a great scope and has held up so far, with far more recoil put on it than any other scope I've owned has withstood. So, regardless of where it was made, I'm pleased.

As long as import/export taxes are the same in both directions between the U.S. and any given country (and I have no idea if the Phillipines falls in that category), I'm perfectly happy if they can make it more cost effectively for the same quality over there. I save money that I'll spend on something else that Americans do make better or more economically.

The scope (and sports optics) business has been an largely an import business for a long time. One can hardly own Leica, Kahles, or Swarovski product and lay claim to the "buy American" doctrine. The mid-range scope and bino business has always been competitive-- as in Leupold binos.

Burris builds two identical sets of tooling for their Fullfield II line. Scope are made both here in small numbers, with the the bulk of them in the Philippines. As they are manufactured with the same equipment, their components are completely interchangeable whether regardless of place of manufacture. That's what keeps those scopes a solid value.

The 'buy American' doctrine is a bit hard to follow. What is "buy American"-- Bushnell, Zeiss Conquest, Dodge-Chrysler? One only has to look at the cars on the road to see that things are not always what they seem.

Years back I purchased my first and only Burris for a new Remington BDL Stainless, back then I thought I was getting a scope similar to my Williams 3x9x40mm Twlight, I order a 3x9x40mm but when it arrived I could insert the objective inside the Williams Objective and it slide right in, so then I wondered why they suggest it is 40mm objective when it is not they include the scope tube thickness and measure the diameter to get the 40mm. I guess I was just spoiled being I have a Williams that is no longer available but the best scope I have used on my 30.06 Big Game Rifle. The Burris nice just does not have the light gathering as good as the Williams... The funny thing I bought the Rifle and the Williams Scope came as a combo deal when you bought any rifle. I got the Scope and Mount & Rings for 100.00 yet the price was over 200.00 it was the year they got out of making Williams Scopes. I have taken many deer with it and still prefer it to the Burris on my other Remington 30.06. It is a Burris FullField also but it is a early version of it with their posi-align rings system... Both Scopes do the job but the Williams seems to do it better at lower light conditions...

Wonder why Burris includes the tube as part of the objective measurement??? While others don't...

LFM

RandyWakeman said:
The scope (and sports optics) business has been an largely an import business for a long time. One can hardly own Leica, Kahles, or Swarovski product and lay claim to the "buy American" doctrine. The mid-range scope and bino business has always been competitive-- as in Leupold binos.

Burris builds two identical sets of tooling for their Fullfield II line. Scope are made both here in small numbers, with the the bulk of them in the Philippines. As they are manufactured with the same equipment, their components are completely interchangeable whether regardless of place of manufacture. That's what keeps those scopes a solid value.

The 'buy American' doctrine is a bit hard to follow. What is "buy American"-- Bushnell, Zeiss Conquest, Dodge-Chrysler? One only has to look at the cars on the road to see that things are not always what they seem.

:huh?:

HUH? Bigbore wants optics MADE IN THE USA - so he is going to return the FFII and get another brand that fulfills his wants and desires. Who said anything about Leica, Kahles, or Swarovski ? :roll:

Doohan said:
Who said anything about Leica, Kahles, or Swarovski ? :roll:

I did, obviously.

The distinction between "made in" and "assembled in" is not made on the box. I'm not one for tummy aches based on either. 8)

bigbore442001, save the barf bag. :lol: If ur lookin to buy TOTAL MADE IN USA & lookin for quality (especially in optics)...good luck. Even Leupold outsources the high end glass work to the Japs. Same as the high end Bushnells...Made in Japan.

Bought me a good ole Browning Gold 3.5 12 Mag.....Made in USA ?? Nope, Made in Belgium & Assembled in Portugal. Then bot me a Browning BPS pump...Made in USA...Nope, MADE IN JAPAN. Bought me a Browning Hi-Power 9MM Practical...Made in USA??? Nope, Made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal. I could go on but we are in a worldwide competive economy which provides the highest quality product to the consumer at the best price on a worldwide basis. Must admit, good for the consumer but bad for many American workers & likely to get much more worse for our labor force.

Just changed the oil in my good ole US of A General Motors Prizm & I see a lot of guts under the hood there marked Made In Japan! :lol: Go figure.
By year 2010 likely only thing that will not be outsourced will be a Micky D Happy Meal which I think has good ole USA of A beef or is it from Brazil? Ketshup will likely from Pittsburgh, PA though pending tomato source. :lol:

Here's something interesting about Burris scopes! If you've got an '06 Cabela's Shooting/Reloading catalog, go to page 147 which is the Burris scopes page. Up in the top lefthand corner of the page is a gold ribbon that has printed on it "Forever Warranty" & "Burris 100% Made In USA". Then on the same page, the scope furthest to the right is the Fullfield II 3-9x40 which is just like the one I purchased from Natchez and on the bottom of mine was "Made in the Phillipines". Kinda misleading if ya ask me IF all Fullfield II's are made in the same place! That's probably what I was the most disgruntled about AND why I sent the scope back for a refund! Burris needs to be a little more clearer about the origin of the FFII's IMO!

I just checked my FF II 3x9 I bought off Ebay(NEW) about 6 months ago and no where on the box or paperwork or the scope does it say where the scope is made. To me it don't matter cause it's a cheap scope, long as it works! 8)

Back