I continue to be amazed... Savage/Brux SML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The original reports on my Savage/Brux build are here: Good Day Shooting

I left that rifle in Illinois for a year after taking the buck in my Avatar. I brought it back last Fall and have not shot it since then... Silly me. Instead, I spent my spare time last Summer fooling around with a custom .375 Winchester built on a Mauser 98 action (yes, it can be done), which is now legal as a single shot in Illinois. But I've not been getting the results I wanted with the Mauser, so yesterday I got out the SML and took it to range... It was another good day shooting. Beautiful day with light but gusty winds.

I took a fouling shot and then another at a target someone had left up at the 400 yd target, so far so good. Then took one shot at the 11"x16" steel plate at 400 yds (center unmarked plate on the target set below. Then I took one shot at our new target stations set at 500 yds (marked 11"x16 plate below). Had to add windage to both, but not much. As the title of this post indicates, I continue to be amazed by the accuracy of this rifle...

I head back to Illinois (from Montana) to visit my parents (93 and 91), family, and farm next Saturday. And to do a little deer hunting. I think my rifle is ready to go.

400yd.jpg500yd.jpg

The original reports on my Savage/Brux build are here: Good Day Shooting

I left that rifle in Illinois for a year after taking the buck in my Avatar. I brought it back last Fall and have not shot it since then... Silly me. Instead, I spent my spare time last Summer fooling around with a custom .375 Winchester built on a Mauser 98 action (yes, it can be done), which is now legal as a single shot in Illinois. But I've not been getting the results I wanted with the Mauser, so yesterday I got out the SML and took it to range... It was another good day shooting. Beautiful day with light but gusty winds.

I took a fouling shot and then another at a target someone had left up at the 400 yd target, so far so good. Then took one shot at the 11"x16" steel plate at 400 yds (center unmarked plate on the target set below. Then I took one shot at our new target stations set at 500 yds (marked 11"x16 plate below). Had to add windage to both, but not much. As the title of this post indicates, I continue to be amazed by the accuracy of this rifle...

I head back to Illinois (from Montana) to visit my parents (93 and 91), family, and farm next Saturday. And to do a little deer hunting. I think my rifle is ready to go.

View attachment 38579View attachment 38580
Outstanding! Nice shooting, hell yes I'd say you're ready to hunt

I'll be down in Perry County next weekend with my Remington/Brux build next weekend. Already two target bucks taken this past week. I wish I wasn't 4 hrs away so I could bow hunt down there.
As much as I hate this state (Illinois). I have to say it has some good whitetail hunting. Plenty of venison everywhere you look. And good people in the more rural areas.

Just joined and I know it’s a older thread but great shooting.I too have a savage brux build and it’s stupid accurate.curious about your load .I haven’t had the chance to go beyond 400. range is limited to 400.shooting 70 gr h4198 275 gr Pittmans first 100 yard group after sightin.

Attachments

• 66DB1248-D199-4FC0-B9C6-9476BF916F16.jpeg
    66DB1248-D199-4FC0-B9C6-9476BF916F16.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 0
Just joined and I know it’s a older thread but great shooting.I too have a savage brux build and it’s stupid accurate.curious about your load .I haven’t had the chance to go beyond 400. range is limited to 400.shooting 70 gr h4198 275 gr Pittmans first 100 yard group after sightin.

Attachments

• 9D014B64-5B1A-40C0-9FDB-73D9CED02B9B.jpeg
    9D014B64-5B1A-40C0-9FDB-73D9CED02B9B.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 68FBC2FB-E530-4EBB-A58E-E531175A4C7A.jpeg
    68FBC2FB-E530-4EBB-A58E-E531175A4C7A.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0075.mp4
    11.5 MB
Damn nice shooting

Extremely nice group. I'm using the same powder and same load as you, and sizing bullets same as you. Using 275 gr Arrowhead XLDs, no wad, and CCI No. 34 primers.

BTW, that the target shown above was my first shot ever at a 500yd target, with the help of Strelok Pro. One and done...

Back