I did some testing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoron

Reaction score
I bought some Platinum line nipples. The first two times I took them out I got wicked hang fires with them. So I decided to see if there was a difference in hole size. In fact the holes in the Platinum lined nipples from Buffalo arms here in Idaho are almost 1/2 the size or less than that of a factory Hot shot nipple. I made the decision to drill the hole to match a new in box Hot Shot nipple. So today I took my 45 out to test it. And I tested a new target.

I have several targets that are a rectangle shape, weight and hardness are different.
I wanted one that was a little different. This one is mild steel but it is a piece that was cut out of a steel pipe. So this one is dished. I was thinking that the bullets would "slip" off the steel easier. My 45 uses harder lead. They run about 8 to 8.5 hard. They are paper patched and sized.
This target is 14" tall, and 10" wide. My thought was I wanted the target to be the size of the lungs on a deer.

I shot at 100 150 and 200 yards with my shooting sticks.

Opening the nipple up to the hot shot size hole was a big improvement. No hang fire and the accuracy was good. I didn't test over a bench but I was happy with how it shot. I am curious why they elected to put such a small hole in the nipple. I also wonder if anyone else has had problems with the nipples from Buffalo Arms?

The target was beat pretty hard with the hardened bullets. The shape of the target didn't help. Those bullets hit with a LOT of energy are just destructive.

ML%20target%201_zpskes53rlc.jpg

Idahoron:
Check out the 2003 Gun Digest, entire section on original percussion LR muzzleloading. There is an original nipple cut in 1/2 to see how they were made.
Original Whitworth match rifle had a 0.030" hole (or at least a nearly new one brought over to the states in the 1950's), Buffalo Arms is 0.026" - as you, one can always make them larger, but not smaller. Many LRML percussion shooters have used that size hole for 2 decades.
What size did you go to?
Are you shooting BP? or sub?
You did well on your shots. What bullet/load?

When I made my first "Steel" bullet trap my friend had gave me 1/4 inch plate steel. I was shocked when conical bullets at 75 yards out of my White rifles were denting the steel so bad. And finally some of them blew through. The friend that gave me the steel couldn't believe it so he gave me 3/4 inch steel (the toe off a road grater blade). I have dented that steel but never blown through. I should make some swinging steel targets out of that stuff.

Good shooting by the way. How much powder are you loading in that .45 Green Mountain Barrel?

52Bore said:
Idahoron:
Check out the 2003 Gun Digest, entire section on original percussion LR muzzleloading. There is an original nipple cut in 1/2 to see how they were made.
Original Whitworth match rifle had a 0.030" hole (or at least a nearly new one brought over to the states in the 1950's), Buffalo Arms is 0.026" - as you, one can always make them larger, but not smaller. Many LRML percussion shooters have used that size hole for 2 decades.
What size did you go to?
Are you shooting BP? or sub?
You did well on your shots. What bullet/load?

Your post got me thinking about testing the hole sizes.
A new nipple installed in green mountain barrel that came from the factory NEVER shot .034
New Hot Shot nipple Uncle Mikes package, .034
New Hot shot Nipple Thompson Center Package, .034
New Hot Shot nipple Track of the wolf package, .026

I have never shot anything but Hot Shots from TC. That is what the local Sportsmans warehouse used to stock. For about the last three years they have not carried them. I went online to get more and picked up some here and there. Then I decided to order from track of the wolf.
I wish I would have measured the actual hole that was in the Buffalo arms platinum lined nipple.

I drilled the platinum nipples out to .034

I have been using Pyrodex P for a very long time around 10 + years. The TC hot Shots have always went bang every time no issues. From what I am seeing I have been using a nipple hole size of .034 with the pyrodex P. Maybe the P won't work with the .026 Interesting seeing those numbers.

cayuga said:
Good shooting by the way. How much powder are you loading in that .45 Green Mountain Barrel?

I use 80 grains of Pyrodex P

Back