I got an itch and purchased a new rifle.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Well I scratched too hard. The lady on the phone was very nice. And so I ordered a;

Early Lancaster .58 caliber Flintlock
36 inch straight barrel
premium ++ maple stock
Seiler large Flintlock with set triggers in large hardware
German silver furnishings with three piece patch box
14" LOP
deHaas or Colerain (she was unsure what they had in stock) barrel
primitive sights (of course)

I did not go swamped, because the weight is not an issue with me. I went with the shorter barrel, just in case I want to walk around with it. Also the Early Lancaster VS the Late Lancaster has a flatter, wider, German Style bottom to reduce recoil. I did not want the Lyman Great Plains Style for off shoulder shooting.

Now all I have to do is wait... six months average build time. So Semisane.. that would sure make a nice rifle for you. But then you could just build one.

2012ll75042r1_zpscbfa0f02.jpg

2011SB50423-001_zpsa27a6093.jpg

And the Lord sayeth unto Cayugad, "If you've got and itch - scratch it."

It's going to be a beauty.

Tic-Toc, Tic-Toc, Tic-Toc, Ti............................

Wow Dave! That is one beautiful rifle! I don't know if I coulld wait 6 months :D

I think that thing is going to be a lot of fun to shoot. You know, I almost ordered one last summer. If I had done that instead of talking my self out of it twice, I would have that rifle already..

Can't take the money with you, and I have no intentions of leaving it behind.. :D

Who is doing the build for you?
Looks like it will be beautiful and a ton of fun to shoot!

Man I own quite a few TVM rifles and they are all sweet shooters.

If I could make one reccomendation.

If u are ever thinking about getting into reenactiong u might want to consider going with the longer barrel. While there are a few documented pieces there are far more longer pieces during the period of both the F&I and REV war.

also if u have never really owned one or spent any real time with one of these. .....swamped is the way to go. THE ONLY WAY TO GO! My first 3 builds we're straits and I was miserable with them. Hated them. They were fine for reenactiong and firing blanks but hunting and shootIng they were really hard to hold steady. Very front heavy.

thanks for the information.. maybe I will change the specs on the rifle.

Well I changed the order this morning. I decided I wanted a Swamped barrel and a 42 inch instead of the shorter. I talked to the builder about barrel weights, etc.. They were telling me about a class C weight barrel and a Class D and said, if I went swamped barrel in .58 it would have to be the heavy class D. So I opted for the Class C in .54 swamped which is 1 inch on the flats. Other then the barrel length and the caliber and it now is going to be swamped.. all the rest are staying the same. Now its a matter of waiting.. which is cool too.

cayuga said:
Well I changed the order this morning. I decided I wanted a Swamped barrel and a 42 inch instead of the shorter. I talked to the builder about barrel weights, etc.. They were telling me about a class C weight barrel and a Class D and said, if I went swamped barrel in .58 it would have to be the heavy class D. So I opted for the Class C in .54 swamped which is 1 inch on the flats. Other then the barrel length and the caliber and it now is going to be swamped.. all the rest are staying the same. Now its a matter of waiting.. which is cool too.

I think you made a very wise choice.

So much of what we do in 18th century re-enacting in based on research and period correct persona?s.

One of hardest persona to pull off is that of the rifleman. Why is that??? Because there is very little "actual"documntation of riflemen in the Rev war. Then we have to find actual documented rifles from the period. This is where we find the best nuggets of information to base our riflemen persona off of.

Most all documented rifles from the period including your Lancaster are of longer barrels. Usually 46inches and up. Its RARE to find documented pieces under 40 inches but they do exsist but in very small pockets. Most shorter barrels were not necessary built that way back in the day. They were originally longer barrels that may have been damaged in battle or plugged in battle and were cut back for whatever reason. Very few documented rifles were found under 40 inches that were made that way.

You will find both swamped and strait barrels for Lancaster?s in documented pieces. Generally speaking Swamped barrels were for people of wealth where straits were more for common folk. By the +++ wood and the silver hardware you went with the swamped barrel most certainly makes sense for the documentation.

As far as from a shooting standpoint you are going to be MUCH happier with a 42inch swamped than a 36 inch strait. The balance is much better and they point so much better. I think you will be very happy with you TVM purchase.

Here is a pic of one of my TVM .54 Cal Virginia Rifles. Much older Persona. Please forgive the Green Frock. Its long since been replaced with a correct frock.
colonialstuff052.jpg

That patch box you have, we discussed. But the builder (even though less expensive) suggest that the German Silver would complement the look of the rifle. I like to keep my brass polished and my silver in perfect shape.. so this should be a heck of a rifle.

Oldfox.. they said between six and seven months expected completion time. Just about ready for deer season I figure. I was told a lot depends on how well the other builds go. As they do not rush a rifle. And I am in agreement for that.

cayuga said:
That patch box you have, we discussed. But the builder (even though less expensive) suggest that the German Silver would complement the look of the rifle. I like to keep my brass polished and my silver in perfect shape.. so this should be a heck of a rifle.

Oldfox.. they said between six and seven months expected completion time. Just about ready for deer season I figure. I was told a lot depends on how well the other builds go. As they do not rush a rifle. And I am in agreement for that.

No doubt if your looking for a rifle to compliment a Virginia rifleman of somewhat wealth or nobility then a silver rifle with matching patch box is the way to go.

For my persona in the 18th century I was going for a Virginia rifleman from a somewhat less advantaged background. More likely a tradesman or worker. The wooden patch box on my Virginia Rifle is very document able and very common for the times.

That is if your intention with this rifle is to create a persona or do Rev war reenacting.

If your just getting one to shoot/hunt with it really just comes down to what you like and personal taste. Thats how I started out. My first TVM was just a 32" Jeager in 62 cal. About Worthless for re-enacting as its not really document able but its a very dependable game getter.

Well my rendezvous days are over. If I slept on the ground again, they'd never get me back up. I kind of want a bragging rifle. So when my friends come over to shoot they can drool all over the floor.

And when they beg to shoot it, I can tell them no way!!! :D

Latest posts

Back