I have a stupid question....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougK

Reaction score
I haven't found the answer just searching through the site.....

What is considered "Unloaded" in regards to muzzleloading? removal of the ignition device (flint, percussion cap, etc) or is complete removal of charge and projectile required? (I realize this probably varies by state, but I haven't found any info on the MN DNR site either)

You will have to check your local DNR for regs. to be absolutely sure. In most states, removal of the ignition source is considered unloaded.

I kind of figured that was the case, but I didn't see anything clear in the DNR rulebook. I guess that is a question for the DNR directly, just to play it safe.

I'm with Doohan. In most jurisdictions, it's not loaded until you have a primer in place. In our game synopsis it says so specifically. But, it's a good idea to check locally to make sure. Sure as shootin' in some place a bullet and powder without a primer will be illegal.

I actually emailed the MN DNR with that very question last year. I was told that as long as the ignition source is removed, it is considered "unloaded". So in my case, as long as the 209 primer is removed, my muzzleloader is considered "unloaded".

Back