I joined the bowhunters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Got me a new bow last night. Mathews switchback XT, 2 dozen carbon arrows, 18 field points, 6 broadheads, Trophy ridge sight, truball release, and a whole bunch of other junk they said I needed. Shoots good but I need practice, I was getting about 5 inch groups at 30 yds last night. First bow for me thought I would give it a try.
After gun hunting all these years I am not sure I am gonna like it much, the hunting that is, but I sure do like shooting this thing, it is fun. I ordered a glendale buck target so that should be even more fun then shooting the block I currently have.

Congrats R-man!

I had the same fears when I got my Bowtech last year. Turns out I love bowhunting so far and prefer that to Ohio "slug" week.

congrats rifleman 8) im really thinking about picking up a compound for this fall's hunting season. anybody have any suggestions on a good startup bow?

I like the one I bought so far, and man I am sore sore sore from shooting it so much allready!

Hey Pie man!
Wouldn't cha know it would take a post from you to bring me out of the woodwork... :wink:

Welcome to the club!

You're gonna love that thing. My Q2 is really a Magilla Killa! :lol:
Now you have to learn to climb trees, man.... :shock:
Don't forget your harness. :p

Mathews makes some real smooth bows now-a-days. You definately got one of the best. 8)

Best to ya...Dwight

Congrats R-Man. A blind with shoot through windows will work. Have you tried any 3-D shooting.I will be shooting at the I.B.O. worlds championship in Anderson IN.

I took up bow hunting about 5 years ago. Wasn't sure if I like it so bought a cheap bow. Well that first year was a leaning experience. The real trick is getting close to the deer or have them get close to you :wink: . Anyway I really enjoyed it and went straight out and bought better equipment. Also that first year made me more aware of deer habits and their preferred trails. I learn a lot and the following season shot my first with a bow. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Good luck.

Thanks guys, I do plan on shooting some 3D when I get a little better. Joe best of luck to you at Anderson, I hope you win it all.
I did order a Summit 180 tree stand and one of those safety vests with fall protection. I got the glendale buck from the UPS man today and hope to shoot it as soon as I get off the night shift.

Congrats on the bowhunting. One word of advice is to not overshoot, if you start to get shakey you will loose form and youll be hurting yourself more than helping. It is better to soot 20 arrrows twice a day than to shoot until you get tired and week. Now maybe I can get you over here for that hunt I owe you. Good luck and if you need any help just let me know, Ive been bowhunting for 15 years belive it or not. Joel

n8dawg6 said:
congrats rifleman 8) im really thinking about picking up a compound for this fall's hunting season. anybody have any suggestions on a good startup bow?

Go to a proshop (NOT a big box store), have them determine your draw length, and start test driving different bows. Only way to do it, IMO. All the high end bows(Matthews, Hoyt, Bowtech), and 99% of the midlevel bows (Parker, Reflex, Diamond, Fred Bear "The Truth") are excellent. Whatever feels best in your hands is what you should go with.

Rifleman: Congrats on your new bow! :D You're starting with one of the best, that's for sure. Hopefully, you will not be like me and acquire "buy a new bow each season syndrome". It is a debilitating (but fun) condition that inflicts bowhunters everywhere. Ya gotta be cool and have the latest and greatest, right? BTW, my new Bowtech Equalizer will be coming from the factory in about 2 weeks. :wink:

tar12 recommended a bowshop to me, Deadend Archery in Fountain co. The owner Mark is a real pro, and spent 3 hours getting me set up with an outfit that fits. SO far I am very pleased with my selection, and can't wait to nail a deer with this rig.

Dwight, one thing to keep in mind is that if you're shooting from an elevated location you'll shoot high. I found that out a couple of years ago. I now know that if I have a deer at 30 yds to use my 20 yd pin. When you get you tree stand get up a tree and practice at the anticipated range.

Good tip Raf, I have a treestand on backorder and when it gets in we are gonna hang it and shoot from it prior to the season opener.

Rifleman,good going ,heck I have been bowhunting for 50 years I started when they didn't have a special tag,started with a steel bow.
It is a great time of the year to be in the woods,you will see 10 times as many deer during bowhunting as rifle hunting. IMO its far easier getting a nice buck with a bow than a rifle. Any way good luck.
Hows the fishin?
Redclub

Rifleman,good going ,heck I have been bowhunting for 50 years I started when they didn't have a special tag,started with a steel bow.
It is a great time of the year to be in the woods,you will see 10 times as many deer during bowhunting as rifle hunting. IMO its far easier getting a nice buck with a bow than a rifle. Any way good luck.
Hows the fishin?
Redclub

Rdclub, fishing has been a little slow lately from what I hear, as I have not been out in a couple of weeks. I don't fish very much in July/August, but as the water cools it turns on again in September, as the stripers seem to get a little stressed when the water is warm and the oxygen is low.

Getting back to the bows, my new bowsight came in yesterday, it is a model made by HHA, single pin, fiber optic, and has actual click adjustments for elevation. Seems to be well made and repeatable. Currently I have been using my sons extra Trophy Taker with V drive. It is a decent site, but going from different yardages I have concerns about how repeatable the settings are.
I also won an auction on Ebay for a HHA archery mount and a Bushnell Holosight. I love the Holosight for certain firearm applications and think it is a viable option for a bowsight. I allready have one that was not currently on a gun, but when I researched a bowmount for it, I found the mount I wanted and an extra Holosight. So I went ahead and put a bid in on it as I can always use the Holosight on a gun if I don't care for it on the bow.
Now here is the cool part. I won the auction for 179.00 bucks for both sight and mount. So even if the Holosight on a bow does not work out, I still got a heck of a deal on an extra Holosight.
218c_1.JPG

Congrats on the bow and all the fun you are having with it. I highly reccomend joining a forum that is strictly archery stuff. Most of them are just as good of learning tools as the forums we have here are for front stuffers. archerytalk.com is a good one http://rebelyankee.proboards79.com/index.cgi? is another one thats not too bad. I help out with it, and can't wait to see the site grow. Currently we only have 72 members :roll:

Heya HTR I will check it out. BTW did yall see the new DNR hunting reg book? It has a section asking folks to report feral hogs. The DNR sure does hate them things. I just wish I saw one to report, I would report yup this sure is tasty!

I have not seen the new book, but it is about time for me to pick up a few to take into work. For some strange reason everybody thinks that the local police department should have some of them to hand out and that we should be able to answer all of their game law questions. I always tell people that I have no idea and tell them to call Pike Enforcement even though 99% of the time I know the answer to their questions.

Back