I joined the bowhunters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some more junk yesterday. I had a Summit 180 MAX treestand on backorder with Bass Pro, but I was in the Cincinnatti store yesterday and on a whim I asked a clerk if they had any as none were on display. They had 4 in the back so I got one. I then asked customer service if they could cancel my internet back order. Holy Toledo you I had asked for a formula to turn lead to gold. Dumb dumb folks, I think all these bug stores recruit at McDonalds. Anyway I said forget it, call 1800BASSPRO and canceled it on my cell phone, they looked at me like I was a genius. Not being one to argue , I of course let them stand there in awe.
Bought a diamond stone, ultra fine for my broadheads. And looked at some Laser range finders. I bought a new in box Leupold RX11 on Ebay for 199.00 for my son, Bass Pro price was 299.00 YIKES.
I wanted to compare the Leupold RXIV with a Leica compact 1200. So Iasked to look at them while I was in the store. The Leupy has more bells and whistles like an incline-o-meter/ true ballistic range blah blah, but the optical quaility was poor for a 500 dollar outfit, dark and fuzzy edges. The Leica was fairly plain on features, but man it was bright and sharp, great optics and I really liked it, but it was 100 more dollars. So I put that on hold until I can decide. Looking for a device I can use for bow and gun, would like one that shows the angles, but also want to be able to range game at loong range, Yeah I know a Geovid is the way to go, I used one before but 2 grand is enough that I would have to save up for awhile and they are too bulky for bowhunting IMO. 5 or 6 hundred I can stomach a little better seeing as I have allready dropped better then 2 grand getting into this bowhunting in the last 2 weeks. Any ideas ?

Rman,you are making bowhunting sound like a science, Take a single pin sight in for 17 yards on the ground and you can shoot out of a tree at
25 yards. ALWAYS aim at the heart, If you shoot a little high you get the lungs a little low you miss, nothing wrong with that.
There are a lot of gadgets that don't do crap for you, Think of a rifle
with very limited range and you will see what you really need.
Redclub

Rman,you are making bowhunting sound like a science, Take a single pin sight in for 17 yards on the ground and you can shoot out of a tree at
25 yards. ALWAYS aim at the heart, If you shoot a little high you get the lungs a little low you miss, nothing wrong with that.
There are a lot of gadgets that don't do crap for you, Think of a rifle
with very limited range and you will see what you really need.
Redclub

Rifleman, I'm looking forward to the story of you first hunt.

Redclub,
You know I am a techno freak, and half the fun for me is messing with the gadgets. Your right of course that alot of stuff one can live without, which is why I am sure alot of guys go traditional, but I enjoy performance and it is just natural for me to try to shoot for distance.
Got a chance to fling about 30 arrows last night, got to do 2 things that were first's for me. I hit a lifesaver candy at 30 yds, and also busted an arrow at 40 yds setting my zero there. That glendale buck target has rebar in the legs, and I hit the leg and whack, there went my arrow. Oh yeah, real important, first shot of the day, dead in the heart at the 20 yd line.
Raf, I hope I get the chance to put some hunting time with this thing, and I do have a goal of killing at least one deer with it this season, but really the main reason I bought this was to shoot with my son. I bought him his first bow when he was 16, and surprising me he really took to it and now is really good. Last Christmas I bought him a new Switchback Long Draw model ( he is 6 ft 7 inches tall) and he really shoots it well. Last week I watched him bust 3 out of 5 life savers at 30yds, and shoot 5 arrows into the heart lung area of the buck target at 60 yds. Him and I have always had a friendly competition when it comes to shooting rifles, pistols and shotguns. He is an extremely competitive individual ( wonder where he gets that from, must be his mother :shock: ) and hates to lose. He is a gifted athlete and allthough I am a terrible ball player, I have always been able to beat him in shooting sports, which of course he hates :D
Well he was talking smack that if I had a bow I would never be able to catch up with him in shooting archery. Of course, the gauntlet was thrown at that point, and I had to accept the challenge. Dana is a good solid shooter with firearms, last deer he shot with a shotgun was 212 lasered yds offhand, but so far Dad has been able to keep him at bay. I have along way to go before I catch up with him with the archery equipment though. But my strategy is a simple 3 prong attack. One- I have a stronger work ethic then he does and I am training harder then he is :wink: and I practice everyday I possibly can. Two- I train right, the other day I bought a really good book on archery written by Olympic archery shooters and coaches. It has allready helped me a great deal with my form, my groups have shrunk and I am more consistent, and I have learned it is more important to shoot more often then to shoot alot of arrows at one session. I suppose I am now the student and not the teacher, and I am enjoying learning a new skill. Three- I outspend him! Kinda like the cold war weapons race. :D

Well I shot the worlds last Thurs and Friday. I shot a 401 in Hunter Class.Not good enough to win but I had a blast. I shot with 2 guys from New York and 1 from Ohio on thursday and then on Friday I shot with 1 from PA. ! from MT. and the guy from OH. Like I said it was a great time. R- Man ya gotta try this 3-D.

Glad you had a good time Joe, when I get to the point, if ever, that I don't think I will embarrass myself more then usual, I plan on giving it a go.

Latest posts

Back