I like the big .62

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWTF Lobo

Reaction score
I have two .62 smoothbores, one .62 Jager rifle and a .62 longrifle that's being built. Anyone else fancy the .62 caliber?

I have a GM 62 smooth barrel bouncing between various TC stocks along with a LH flinter wearing a 39" barrel in 62.  Love em both!

I built a Jim Chambers parts set, a .62 cal. Pennsylvania Fowler, 46” barrel. I have not fired it yet. I’m sure it will be a fun shooter. 
Are you shooting PRBs with them?  What size load are you using?

Smokin' Joe said:
Are you shooting PRBs with them?  What size load are you using?
I'd be real sure to mike the bore on yours before investingin balls. There seems to be quite a bit of variation in "62 caliber" barrels. My GM smooth barrel just doesn't want to swallow the standard .610 ball with ticking patches. Have to go way down to .005 patches. Dropped to .600 balls and it was better, but still a grunt to load. Finally tried .595 and found happiness with ticking. Meanwhile my rifle (I'm not 100% certain but guessing Colerain barrel) is happiest with .610 balls and ticking, even loading fairly easy while shooting well.

Great advice!!  Of course, I already bought a pack of .610 balls right off.  I'll have to see how they fit.  I'll just put of some of Jon's  Frontier's Anti-Rust & Patch Lube on the patch, should slide right down. :^)

In truth I use more shot than ball in my smooth barrel. It's real proud of 1f Goex powder, giving much smoother patterns than 2f.  Same in fact for shot loads in all my smoothbores.  If you decide to play with shot, pick up some 1f and use equal volumes of shot and powder. No reducing the powder charge 10 grains as is standard with 2f- just use the same measure for both.

My smoothbore guns like 80 or 90gr's of 2FF behind a .595 prb. My rifle uses 110gr's of 2FF behind a .600 and sometimes .610 prb.

I killed a moose in 1979 with my .62 Jager using 150gr's 2FF and a .610 prb

buckskinner.jpg

A big tom taken with my .62 Tulle, 80gr's 2FF behind 90gr's of <a href='/tags/6' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #6'>#6</a> shot

Boss%20Gobbler%202.JPG

I love the looks of the "French Tulle fusil-de-chasse".  I will eventually own one too.

My other .62 smoothbore I named Two-Fer because on it's maiden hunt it killed two deer with one shot.
Loaded with 80gr's of 2FF and a 595 prb it passed through one deer and killed a 2nd deer on the other side of the first. The ball stopping just under the hide on the far side 

2_for_one2.JPG

NWTF Lobo said:
My other .62 smoothbore I named Two-Fer because on it's maiden hunt it killed two deer with one shot.
Loaded with 80gr's of 2FF and a 595 prb it passed through one deer and killed a 2nd deer on the other side of the first. The ball stopping just under the hide on the far side 

2_for_one2.JPG
And yet there are those who think they need 100+ grains in a .50.

My .62 is a smoothbore and is very accurate at 50 yards with a .600" lead ball and a.015" patch.  It knocks deer DRT!

I bought 25 .610 lead balls and I'll probably have to get some slightly smaller .600 for my Fowler.

Hanshi said:
My .62 is a smoothbore and is very accurate at 50 yards with a .600" lead ball and a.015" patch.  It knocks deer DRT!
Hanshi, do you have a rear sight on yours?

Smokin' Joe said:
Hanshi said:
Hanshi, do you have a rear sight on yours?

Yes it does.  I ordered a rear sight on it when it was built and it was, for me, a great choice.  It works for ball and shot though I do shoot mostly ball.

Smokin' Joe, my bore is tight and shoots .606" WW ball pretty well in bare ball loads.  A .610" ball would probably be about perfect for it.  It would be impossible to patch .610" ball but really wouldn't need to.

Back