Idaho Montana

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1874sharpsshooter

Reaction score
considering a spring Bear Hunt . I have it narrowed down to Norther Idaho or Northern Montana . I want to use my muzzleloader. Any thoughts or suggestions or info I need to know that might make me choose one state over the other ? This would be a DIY hunt on public land
I would prefer to use my 45 but it seems Idaho requires a 50 cal for bear. So that makes Montana a little more appealing
Any advice from you Idaho or Montana guys ??

I hunt bears every year in Idaho. Email me if you like with any particular questions about that state. ([email protected]) I would say your choice comes down to what type of hunt you are looking for. Baiting and hound hunting is legal in Idaho so if that is something that interests you, it’s an option. There are good places to spot and stalk hunt in both states but I’d probably pick Montana for its more open terrain and opportunity for that type of hunting. Northern ID has a lot of bears but the habitat tends to be very dense and difficult for spotting bears at a distance.

Last edited:
I hope you get a chance to git one of them... locate some old or present dump sites in the outback if there are still any left.

They said since it’s an any weapon tag that muzzleloader restrictions don’t apply so I’m thinking .45 instead of 50 with a 465 to 530 chunk of lead. Gonna see what I get shooting best out to 200. Gonna take a caller along also just in case I have an opportunity to try and call one in closer

That will be an awesome hunt! I've definitely got a spot and stalk bear hunt on my bucket list. Seems like it would be a rush.

Bring good glass and be patient. If your eyes aren't fatigued at the end of the day. Your not glassing hard enough. Only hunted Idaho spring bear one time, we met with a nice chocolate colored boar. Depends on where you are going. April may be difficult to get into the backcountry due to snow conditions. We hunted mid may and green grass and dandelions were just sprouting. That was a dry year.

Latest posts

Back