Idiots guide to coyote hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
I want to learn to hunt coyotes... I went out last weekend, no luck but i really don't know what i am doing. when to call, how long, how loud, times, weather? any advice for a rookie?

03mossy said:
I want to learn to hunt coyotes... I went out last weekend, no luck but i really don't know what i am doing. when to call, how long, how loud, times, weather? any advice for a rookie?

I started last year and shot 4 , but nothing so far this year, been outonly twice , called in coyotes both times but they held at 400 yards , i use a .22 mag and need to get them in under 150 .

here is a new site and very friendly place and some good videos !!

http://buckingtheodds.com/

03 mosey i just started coyote hunting last year and am hooked. I had the same questions you do. Start with wind in face, start out calling low noise (in case thier is a coyote close to you, dont wanna sound unnatural) if you do not see anything in 1 to 2 minutes call full volume for about 1 minute. Most coyotes that i call in come within 5 to 10 minutes and i try to stay until 15. If i dont see anything in 15 i try another spot at least 1000 yards away.

You really only need one good call. I mainly use one and i have a whole bag of em. I use a open reed rabbit distress called the crack dog. For me open reeds are far superior to the close reeds. for me they are louder sound more realistic to a hurt rabbit, and you can do some coyote talk with them.

Stay still while you call and break up your signature by getting in front of something and not behind something. Since i have moved out west thier are not alot of cover here except the occasional small cactuse. I sit in front of the cactuse and the coyotes literally almost run me over, they wont see you if your still. Make sure while you call that you constantlly scan the area, i have had coyotes sneak in on me just to see the back side of them running away from my position. Some of them come running in, and some take a really sneaky approach comming in.

practice practice practice calling, so you have confidence in what your sounding like, not everyone sounds the same and they dont have too. if you sound like something in distress, THEY WILL COME. good luck sorry for the rambling :oops:

hi all,

here's my ''coyote bomb'' recepe??

1x 5 gal. plastic bucket with lid

1x pcv pipe of 5 foot min.

3x 90 degre brakets 2'' long

drill/cut hole in the center of the lid to pipe diameter

enter the pipe througt (10 inches min.) lid screw pipe to lid using brakets

put some ''road kills'' (skunk, or what ever coyotes in your area eat) in an other closed bucket on your way to your spot.

once on your spot, big a hole 12'' deeper then the ''bomb'' and cover it .

i use this tips in winter times. When sun goes up, pcv pipe got heated up and create vacuum effect so odors goes out. coyote will try to dig out the bait, but will be unable to get it. coyotes will use the pipe as a ''marker post'' creating competition with others coyote.

But most important thing is......Patience....

Last winter here in Quebec, i frozzed my butt lost of times before it paid up.

On January 2010, after countless stands, i shot my first one at 81 yrds(female 44 pounds) and later my second at 300 yrds(male 35 pounds), with a Savage Model10 Predator in 22-250

I hunt on baited spots usualy, but those kills where done with calls. I prefer distress calls to get them close. And if you can have lots of places to hunt, it's even better

all i can say more is good luck

later
Luc

Latest posts

Back