Newbie from New Mexico

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have acquired a Knight Disc Extreme rifle in 50 caliber, which has the new tags on the trigger guard, so its been used little, if any. I have written about precision reloading and also antique firearms since 1986, and yet virtually know nothing about muzzleloading. I am learning, but want to learn more, how to gain the best accuracy-ignition, powders, best bullets for accuracy and hunting reliability with these particular rifle barrels. My rifle will have a muzzlebrake, and I need to understand how to utilize this attachment properly for accuracy when reloading. I was told by someone to get another type of rifle, but received no recommendation. My inclination is to stick with this rifle, and BH 209 powder and Large rifle primers if I can learn how to get this rifle modified so it can handle that form of ignition, which I hope will prove to be reliable.

Thank you in advance for any help you may give me, so I make a minimum of mistakes in learning about this new challenge in shooting and hunting.

WW

Welcome from Las Vegas (Nevada)! Lots of knowledge on this site.

As for igniting Bh209 with LRPs, most will tell you those two won’t likely work reliably together. Bh209 is sensitive to breech plug design and needs a significant flame volume. It is possible to make caps and LRPs work, though, by adding a few grains of black powder under the main Bh209 charge. Be aware that this is not endorsed by Hodgdon, to my knowledge. Personally, I’d stick with 209 primers.

Thanks folks, I do have some of these caps and 209 primers when I obtained this rifle. I have to get BlackHorn powder, then I can get started doing some test firing.
WW

Things I am learning fast. A manufacturer in Canada can take my Savage stainless steel short, single shot action and convert it to a .45 caliber legal muzzleloader with large rifle priming and also, with a die that can size down bullets by .000 to get a perfect fit to the barrel I can purchase. I have a feeling this whole procedure would violate a true traditionalist muzzle loader, but the accuracy sounds similar to what I used to get from my 6PPC's. Amazing!

Thanks to all of you. I am finding out more every day. I am told by Knight they do not have a single model that features two screws for the action being attached to the stock.
I am told of a firm in Canada that can convert my target Savage stainless steel short action, single shot in 300 WSM to become a legal muzzleloader into 45 caliber with large rifle priming and that a special die can size the bullets to fit the bore exactly in .00. Suggested powder was RE7 at about 1/2 the grain charge of the pellets suggested for the 50 caliber slugs. As a reloader and specializing in long range precision, I can identify with all this, but is this truly what muzzleloading should be?
I am curious can Knights be used with modern smokeless powder?
Thanks again,

WW

As a reloader and specializing in long range precision, I can identify with all this, but is this truly what muzzleloading should be?
I am curious can Knights be used with modern smokeless powder?
Thanks again,

WW
No Knights are made to shoot smokeless. Can they be modified? Don't know. As far as whether smokeless is what "muzzleloading should be?", that's a personal choice, I suppose. Not for me. It's also a legal issue, by state game laws, if you want to hunt with it. Read your hunting regs carefully before investing in equipment. Idaho has some of the most restrictive ml hunting regs around, and I'm okay with that.

am told of a firm in Canada that can convert my target Savage stainless steel short action, single shot in 300 WSM to become a legal muzzleloader into 45 caliber
I wouldn’t mess with sending it to Canada. There are a number of smiths/builders here in the US that will put a smokeless-capable barrel on a Savage. Guys have been doing it for years.

No, smokeless is not to be used in any unmodified Knight.

As FredB says, check the regs wherever you plan to hunt. There are a number of western states that won’t let you use smokeless powder during a muzzy season. (You may be legal to use it during many any-legal-weapon hunts though.) New Mexico is one of those states that does not allow smokeless during muzzy seasons.

Hello El Diablo,

May I email you privately? I have been a competitive shooter with some success for decades, but am absolutely ignorant about muzzleloading. Have just learned that my Knight muzzleloader serial number 000023, has a Green Mountain barrel meant for shooting a round ball. This is astounding to me. For those who choose this projectile, fine, but here in the Rockies I would much prefer a very high BC bullet, either 45 or 50 which can be used successfully for hunting and be very accurate.

Back