Impromptu Duck Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I took my CVA SxS and my 12 y.o. dog back to the pond just before sundown. There were 2 hooded mergansers on it. We (I) belly-crawled to the edge and flushed them. I shot the male with the right barrel and he went down into the water. Hoodies are really hard to kill so I waited until he came up for air and then covered his head with the left barrel. Luckily, one pellet hit him in the head.

My dog had been antsy since we flushed them since this was only the second time this year we were after ducks. (She really likes to duck hunt.) I gave the word and she dove into the cold water and retrieved him. By the time we got back to the house and a camera, it was dark.

nyssa_10.jpg

nyssa_11.jpg

You can tell that she likes the taste of wet ducks.  ;)

Bob,
I never ate a merganser but know someone who tried one bite and said it taste like rotten fish. He may be right as the "old timers" referred to them as fish eaters. Enlighten me on these birds.

John

John Neslen said:
Bob,
I never ate a merganser but know someone who tried one bite and said it taste like rotten fish. He may be right as the "old timers" referred to them as fish eaters. Enlighten me on these birds.

John
I never ate one either. I was going to but when I cleaned one, the meat was dark gray. That stopped me right there.  :barf:

They have a serrated bill which helps them to catch fish. The drakes make a beautiful mount though.

First duck I ever kill was a merganser it sure smelled like rotten fish. But as
bob said they are a pretty duck.

Latest posts

Back