Inconsistent Omega?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris K

Reaction score
So I've been messing with my Omega just making sure everything was still set up for a Elk hunt for the end of this month. I started about 3 weeks ago to see if the load I've been shooting was still shooting good. Well it was all over the place! I used to be able to shoot 2" groups at 100 yrds with this set up( 110gr pyro select 375gr SSB). Now the gun or me has a hard time keeping them with in a 6" circle at 100 yrds. I ended up shooting all of the SSb's I had left, and still it was all over the place. If I moved the target up to 50yrds it would shoot a 2"-3" group. I used to be able to get 2 to touch, and one just off at this distance. Well I've been planning on changing bullets since the place I was getting SSB's stopped carrying them. I've since switched to 300gr Gold Dot's with a Harvester Cruched Rib Sabot. At 50yrds I can get a 2" group some of the times but not consistently. If I move it out to 100yrds I get 5"- 6" groups. I changed my powder charge starting from 100gr's to 115 gr's to see if that would work no luck. I checked my scope ( T/C 1x scope) all the bases/rings seemed tight. I would shwab between shots One wet patch with a dry patch to fallow between shots.

I have a couple Idea's of whats wrong. I've read where the breach plug can wear out in an OmegaI've probably shot 350 - 450 rounds through it. I do have a spare brand new breach plug. Also I found the farthest forward screw in the stock was loose enough i could turn it with my thumb nail. I tightend it. Also I guess it's just me maybe I'm expecting to much from this gun? My goal is to be able to keep a 3 shot group with in a 4"-5" cirlce at 150 yrds.

T/C Omega T/C 1x Hawken Hunter Scope
Remington STS Primers
Pyrodex Select
300gr Gold Dot
Black Harvester Crush Rib Sabot.

Omega rifles with synthetic stocks are very prone to POI moving quite a bit when the stock is not installed EXACTLY THE SAME AS LAST TIME. Mine will drift as much as four inches at 100 yards. Check the front mount block in the barrel. Mine was loose and the screw was bottomed out. It was impossible to get the mount tight as delivered. Check how the barrel touches the stock when installed. It should be either even all the way or completely free of contact to eliminate pressure on the barrel. The front screw loose is likely a lot of your problem. T/C Omega synthetic stocks are a bit wimpy and some refer to them as Tupperware stocks. I am in process of pillar bedding and epoxy bedding mine when I find time. In the meantime I am shooting something else. I also have had 50 yard cloverleaf shots so I know the rifle will shoot when it is not screwed up by the wimpy stock.

No way. You should expect much better than 6 inches at 100 yds. You should expect 1 - 1 1/2 inches or better at 100 yards when you find the sweet spot. I would first change the breech plug (it sounds like you have quite a few shots through your old one) and check the stock screws to make sure they're tite. A worn out breech plug can kill your accuracy. If that didn't help I would sand my barrel untill it was floated back to the first recoil lug. Also, how old is the powder you're using and what kind is it. I would think that some fresh powder, a new breech plug and checking the stock screws should restore you accuracy. Hope this helps. Let us know.

Kris K

I guess I am curious also... which stock do you have? there are some easy remedies... also look ath barreled action... I the rear lug assembly welded to the barrel or is it just screwed in with Torx screws.... If it is make sure those screws are tight and that lug is not moving around...

Here is a picture of mine - you can see the weld....

OmegaRearLug.jpg

Omega rifles with synthetic stocks are very prone to POI moving quite a bit when the stock is not installed EXACTLY THE SAME AS LAST TIME.

Is it necessary to remove the stock?

sabotloader said:
Kris K

I guess I am curious also... which stock do you have? there are some easy remedies... also look ath barreled action... I the rear lug assembly welded to the barrel or is it just screwed in with Torx screws.... If it is make sure those screws are tight and that lug is not moving around...
quote]

I bought this the first year they came out 2002 I believe.

I just have the standard stock, wish I had the thumbhole :D .

When I get home tonight I'll check, and see if the action is welded or screwed.

Will floating the barrel help? How do I go about doing this?

Powders brand new opened it yesterday before shooting.

Kris K

Good! that will/should be a welded rear lug... solves one problem

I just have the standard stock, wish I had the thumbhole

Is your standard stock a "grey laminate" or black composit... The black composit has bigger problems than the grey laminate...

I believe it will - it really pretty easy.... but there is actually a couple of things you might want to do if it is a black composit....

sabotloader said:
Kris K

Good! that will/should be a welded rear lug... solves one problem

I just have the standard stock, wish I had the thumbhole

Is your standard stock a "grey laminate" or black composit... The black composit has bigger problems than the grey laminate...

I believe it will - it really pretty easy.... but there is actually a couple of things you might want to do if it is a black composit....

It's a black composit stock.

Inconsistent Omega

Remove the scope and try shooting with your open sights. I had the same problem with my Omega (had factory aluminum scope base installed) changed scopes twice, rings once, finally sent it to E. Authur Brown got a 6 screw mount/rings for $69.00 installed plus shipping. Now it will shoot 3 shots inside 1" @ 100 yards w/250 shockwaves and 100gr. T7 ffg.

Swampman said:
Omega rifles with synthetic stocks are very prone to POI moving quite a bit when the stock is not installed EXACTLY THE SAME AS LAST TIME.

Is it necessary to remove the stock?

it is if you want to clean the drop block and not get any water down in the stock.

The omega/kodiak/apex design is nice and all but when it comes to cleaning it, its a pain in the butt compared to the break opens.

sabotloader said:
Kris K

It's a black composit stock.

I would have bet money on it...

Stainless barreled action or blued?

Just to give you some additional information...

Check this thread and then follow the link to Hunting Net..

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... a+weakness

Blued action is one better then the other?

Found this yesterday. Great write up I have my gun here now, and will sand a little down and go give it a try.

Just got done sanding the stock. I'll go shoot it later in a couple hours, and will see if it helps. I also changed the breech plug, and put a new one in.

I will be willing to bet that it does the trick. I really think it is a combination of breechplug and stock issues and you should have both of them fixed now. Did you completely float the barrel back to the first recoil lug? Let us know how it works.

First picture is at 50yrds. 100grs Pyro Select, 300gr Gold Dot. Shot off the hood of my truck with a bypod. The first couple shots where way off, but I settled down and got the three together.

KElseys001.jpg

Second pick was at 100yrds. same load as above. Same thing I just couldn't hold steady enough or I would jerk at the shot. Finally I settled down enough to group them. It sure is hard to shoot a target at 100yrds witha 1x scope. There is one shot that was cut out of the picture above the rest.
KElseys002.jpg

I don't think I will be shooting much past 125yrds so hopfully this will do.[/img]

Kris K

Off the hood of a truck with a bipod and a 1X power scope... that hundred yard group is very good... + the fact that you were fighting your mind a little bit also.... It is really tough to be supper accurate if in your ming you are wondering where will this go...

I think it certainly beats what you were doing...

sabotloader said:
Kris K

Off the hood of a truck with a bipod and a 1X power scope... that hundred yard group is very good... + the fact that you were fighting your mind a little bit also.... It is really tough to be supper accurate if in your ming you are wondering where will this go...

I think it certainly beats what you were doing...

Thanks

I figure with this load, and where it's hitting I should be dead on out to 125-130yrd ish.

I'm the worst with freaking myself out just before I shoot.

I've been doing alot of shooting these last couple of weeks more then normal. I've figure out the best place for my finger to be on the trigger to get the best consistent pull, along with a bunch of other things.

One last question if I take the barrel out of the stock to clean it is this going to mess up my POI any???

Kris K

One last question if I take the barrel out of the stock to clean it is this going to mess up my POI any???

It really should not be a problem if you have floated the barrel... be sure the action is pushed back into the recoil lugs and the screws are tighten to the same amount as they are now. Turn both screws in equally until they start to pull the action down - then tighten the rear screw first - then the front screw...

But, I got to tell you I am old foggy... been shooting way to long - I do not take mine apart unless I have to - until the end of the season... and to show you how anal I am I can not even use "quick detachable" scope mounts - because they might not return to the same place.... Yes... Yes I know it works for a lot of people but not for me in my mind...

Omega

One thing to keep in mind with the Omega's and other 209 breechplugs is they erode their apertures. You will know it when a formerly excellent load begins to open up for no obvious reason.I shoot lightish loads and my plugs last about 450 rounds.Of course hotter loads will most likely give shorter plug life. If the usual checks dont restore accuracy, try swapping out the breechplug. Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back