Inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowwalker

Reaction score
I have received two Traditions muzzle loaders from a good friend who Passed away,one is a lighting bolt.50 cal. The other is a Yukon.50 cal. Question is can I load Black horn 209 in the Yukon...I’ve looked in the other posts but i’m Not sure...I know Traditions is not the best..when it comes to inline’s ..that’s why I’m asking..thanks...

I will say "probably" but start out on the light side with the loads and watch the primers for signs that things may be getting too hot. Bulging or blown out primer cups will be give-aways that things aren't going well.

If the Lightning is a true bolt you can probably do 209 in it as well but again start out on the light side of charges, maybe 70 grains by volume in each gun. Increase by five grains at a time and check the primers carefully.

You'll want to find out what the barrel's rate of twist is for determining the best bullet/sabots for loading. You'll also want to know what the maximum charge is on each. Contact Traditions directly with the questions and they should provide the info you need.

slowwalker said:
I have received two Traditions muzzle loaders from a good friend who Passed away,one is a lighting bolt.50 cal. The other is a Yukon.50 cal. Question is can I load Black horn 209 in the Yukon...I’ve looked in the other posts but i’m Not sure...I know Traditions is not the best..when it comes to inline’s ..that’s why I’m asking..thanks...

I can remember the Yukon - but I can not remember enough about. I am thinking the Yukon came out long before the advent of BH209. My gut reaction is that it probably would not work well or consistenly with BH.

To really take advantage of BH, in most instances, you do need a closed breech and a breech plug designed for ignition of BH. It is often possible to modify your current breech plug work with BH.

Another thought have you visited the Westen Powders web site - they provide a lot of information about what would be the best way to get consistent ignition with BH.

Hope someone with more knolwedge of the two rifles you are talking about drops in...

Thanks guys! Traditions never answered my emails....but what you both said I will look into..thank you..... :D

The Yukon has a sliding drop block. It came out the same time as the Remington Genesis swing (rotating) block that was imported from Ardessa just like all the Traditions.

It will probably work just fine, as long as your primer headspace is tight between the primer pocket and sliding block. You may need an o-ring to keep things tightly sealed?

Also be aware, the block slides down into the trigger guard ahead of the trigger. If you are experiencing blowback, it may follow the block down in front of your finger.

The Lightning Bolt is a cock on close plunger bolt. Wouldn't recommend trying to shoot Blackhorn 209 out of it. Just be aware of the cock on close bolt. They have been known to slip before the bolt is fully locked down, and obviously discharge. Always keep it pointed in a safe direction if closing the bolt on a loaded and primed rifle. If you can, get a priming tool and prime after cocking with the rifle on safe. Just be extra cautious with this one!

Attachments

• images (4).jpeg
    images (4).jpeg
    3.1 KB · Views: 112
  • images (5).jpeg
    images (5).jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 112
  • images (6).jpeg
    images (6).jpeg
    2 KB · Views: 112

Latest posts

Back