Interesting question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a Lyman 1200 DPS. I weigh out BH209(used to) and smokeless loads. It has been a good'un. It has weighed many loads. It started acting up alittle a few years back. I called Lyman about replacement parts. The lady laughed, said sir that unit is close to 15 years old. I can't remember what they offered as to upgrading. It started back acting right. It's been dropping loads ever since without missing a beat.... it's probably over 20 yrs old now....

I weigh all my blackhorn 209 charges on electronic scale
I see no difference between that and a beam scale except ,time

Is it safe to use an electronic scale to weigh out black powder or subs?
As a centerfire reloader I was programmed to weight BP when I entered the world of muzzleloading. Over time I've gotten consistent enough with my volumetric measurements to satisfy my hunting demands.
If you do use an electronic scale be sure to calibrate it and check often.

Got a Lyman 1200 DPS. I weigh out BH209(used to) and smokeless loads. It has been a good'un. It has weighed many loads. It started acting up alittle a few years back. I called Lyman about replacement parts. The lady laughed, said sir that unit is close to 15 years old. I can't remember what they offered as to upgrading. It started back acting right. It's been dropping loads ever since without missing a beat.... it's probably over 20 yrs old now....
I’m using the same scale. So far no issues with it. I’m sure the newer ones are better but for now why spend the money on a new one. Right now I need to buy more lead to get ready for the upcoming season which will be here before you know it.

I’m using the same scale. So far no issues with it. I’m sure the newer ones are better but for now why spend the money on a new one. Right now I need to buy more lead to get ready for the upcoming season which will be here before you know it.
I recently picked up a 5 gallon bucket filled to the brim with pure lead chips (100+ pounds) for $125

Man did you step in it and come out smelling like roses. I’d drive up for that. Do they have any more? I’m lucky if I can get 30-40 lbs for that much

I just weighed some 777.

A 110 g/v of the FFg weighed 97 grains...the equivalent of 124 g/v. Had I used 120 g/v it would have been around 135 g/v and been above recommendations for my gun.

I bought a new powder measure.

With the new measure 110 g/v of FFg weighed 81 grains.....the equivalent of 105 g/v.

I weighed 110 grains of FFFg and carefully measured without shaking or stirring it weighed 80-82 grains or about 105 g/v.

I tapped the tube while filling the measure with the FFFg and it weighted 90 grains....about 115 g/v.

my thoughts: the FFg was more spherical and did not change weight as much with tapping the tube but had more air space between the larger particles so it was lighter. I need to increase my volume charge to get the desired amount of powder.

The FFFg was finer and packed much more easily. When the measure was tapped while filling, the density created heavier charges but they were more consistent (there is no such thing as no compaction, just how much. Tapping the tube created more uniform densities).

I have read that FFFg has slightly higher velocities. I think this is due to higher weight of the charge.

Not all powder measures are accurate. you should check yours.....by weight.

All of my charges will be tapped during filling to be as uniform as possible. I will weigh several to know within the density range of the powder how much I am really using.

Solids burn my mass not by volume. energy is calculated by mass not by volume. Measuring by volume is absolutely fine, but I believe weighing is better. At least to test consistency.

I must have missed the memo on "Not using an electronic scale for BP" cause other than possibly ESD issues, Why not?

And if, ESD then we would all be blowing ourselves up just carrying plastic containers of BP in our possibles bags !

OR is this just another Volume vs. Weight safety question?

Interesting results. When I weigh a 110 grV load of FFG 777, I get 92.6 grW. You may be overthinking all this.

Not all powder measures are accurate. you should check yours.....by weight.

There’s some (maybe a lot) of safety margin in “max load” numbers for bp subs. So, I don’t think it matters one bit (safety wise) if you are slightly over 100 or 120 or 150 grV (whatever the stated max is).

Now, if you change to a different volumetric measurer, then I agree, you may see a little variation. Probably a great idea to standardize by weight so that you know what to set the new measure on to get the same load of powder.

I think you are talking about electric vibratory trickers and electronic charge dispensers.

I’ve never seen a digital (electronic) scale that had any such warning.

If you're talking about a food scale or the likes, then they wouldn't think people would be weighing propellants, therefore no warnings.
Black powder is explosive. Any electrical spark of any kind could be a disaster.

Page 2

https://www.rcbs.com/on/demandware....roductPdfFiles/98914_PocketScale_1LIM_web.pdf

Last edited:
Back