Irrigation ditches

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Just got half of my food plot dug with irrigation ditches. It doesnt look like a sprinkler system will be affordable this year but using the stock tank and garden hose, i can suck on the hose to get the air out and the water comes with it and just stick the end into the ditch and let them all fill up and go through the small field. Its working great so far, just had to take a break for a while and water myself as i almost passed out cold in the field :lol:   Have a bit more of trench work and then we'll just clean it up here and there to make it flow smoothly.

You're going to have a killer food plot, and tree stand this year, and no tags.

You're going to go nuts!

food plot is drying up due to no rain for a month.

Dude, I just got a picture of a bobcat in the food plot! I moved my camera over there and he walked by LOL.

Until recently the guys here used to water their sugarcane by way of irrigation ditches .

Spitfire said:
Until recently the guys here used to water their sugarcane by way of irrigation ditches .
That's how the big sugar producers do it in south Florida but they cheat and hook huge sprinklers to the water in the ditches. Drip irrigation would be better but everything down there is the same elevation .. about 6' above sea level.

speaking of sprinklers, I found an $8 sprinkler at walmart the other day and used it in the yard. The water shoots straight up and hits a fan and slings it all over the place. Seriously, 30+ feet diameter! When I get a pump, it will only take 3 of these sprinkler to do the entire food plot.

Yes if your pond is much higher than the pipe outlet the pressure is quite high.

Especially, if you start with a big pipe, and then taper it down smaller. Pressure really builds up.

The tank feeding the my house is about 8 feet higher than the roof and like you say Pete , at the tank the outlet is 21/2" and then taper down to about 3/4" and I don't need any booster pumps on the system.

Latest posts

Back